Thread: I’m a law professor, and I teach my students how to destroy American democracy

I’m a law professor, and I teach my students how to destroy American democracy

In my classes on authoritarian regimes, I used to lecture my students on how modern authoritarians have abandoned the openly repressive tactics of their predecessors. Today’s authoritarians frequently come to power by democratic elections and then erode democracy through seemingly legitimate means. They have adopted a new playbook that borrows the trappings of democracy without its functionality.

Although I would warn my students that no country is immune to these stealth authoritarian threats, these lectures, I could tell, never really resonated. My students assumed that authoritarian takeovers happen only in backward, faraway lands, in countries riddled with corruption and incompetence, and in nations that end with -stan.

So I decided to go rogue.

I threw away my lecture notes and instead asked my students to do something they had never done before: Play the role of an aspiring dictator and come up with ways to decimate democracy in the United States. The students studied the playbook of modern authoritarian governments and adapted it to the United States. They then switched roles and devised measures to guard against the most serious threats.
    https://qz.com/1201360/im-a-law-prof...can-democracy/

Interesting read, however I'd say he is outnumbered by the professors who teach anti American rhetoric as rule of course, without the warning about the consequences.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

That was good, but nothing most of us didn't already know was going on. I'm going to use this. Thanks.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Hasn't that idea been in play for the last 20 years or so ?

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    Hasn't that idea been in play for the last 20 years or so ?
    Yes, but this time a sane professor is revealing it for what it is, and teaching kids how to think, not what to think.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"