Thread: Are fuel standards killing people?

Are fuel standards killing people?

I cannot comment on the accident I saw today but someone was driven
    away in an ambulance.
    I topped the hill to see 5 or more police, 1 fire truck, 2 meat wagons and
    3 wreckers. This is on a very busy road where people do tend
    to loose there patience.
    And here is the weight to mileage question. It looked like a nascar crash
    the motor of 1 of the cars was in the center of the road. I had to look twice just to
    understand what I saw.

More plastic more gaming boards more air bags more people dying ?

We used to joke about cars being made of Bud cans now you cannot find 1 that has a Bud can built into
    it.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    People say heavier cars are safer, and with the current safety standards a Honda Civic that used to weigh under 1800 pounds now weighs over 2800 pounds. Granted there is much sound deadening making the car more livable, but crash zones and a zillion airbags add weight.

Where fuel economy standards is actually a blessing is the advent of computer controlled engines. Granted it has come down to it that even a mechanically inclined owner can't do much if something goes wrong, but when driven correctly that basic Honda Civic gets over 40 miles per gallon, accelerates faster that the good old American muscle cars of the mid 1960s and if treated half right will last several hundred thousand miles.

Cars are actually heavier today than they were just a few years go, but when it comes to killing ones self, some people just can't resist the urge to try.

Of course any car versus a semi is going to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Of course any car versus a semi is going to lose.
    I was involved in a head on collision in September of last year, about 5am in the morning a Kia crossover/SUV crossed the double yellow line on Joe Orr rd. and hit me dead on, he was ejected from his car and later passed at the hospital an hour later, we only had a curtain separating us in the emergency room so I knew the exact moment he passed.
    What's even more fucked up is seeing my dash cam footage the next day, btw I only missed 1 on day of work, I was fucked up but made the Doctor release me to work, work is all I know and that's how my dad raised me.