Thread: The Future of Shopping -- Where You Grab and Go Without Checking Out

Arrow The Future of Shopping -- Where You Grab and Go Without Checking Out

Pretty convenient. But also kind of scary.

Shoplifting may soon become a thing of the past, but on the other hand: Big Brother will know EVERYTHING that you buy since you can no longer pay with cash...
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    There used to be a time when someone in high school wanted a job they went to their local store and got a job as a cashier. Doing away with an entry level job for teens, and a job a lot of "retired people" seem to like looks like a great way to put more people on the street with nothing better to do than harass everyone.

It will be interesting to see how shoplifters overcome this.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Never going to use one of these places.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I don't like it either
    The problem is if this catches on there may not be a choice
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

I have read, that even though you have paid, some still feel the sense of stealing.

And I agree with LAGC that the will to get cash out of the way is where "they" are heading.
    Last edited by l921428x; 02-15-2018 at 10:54 AM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Bezos is looking for a bit of monopoly litigation.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post

Pretty convenient. But also kind of scary.

Shoplifting may soon become a thing of the past, but on the other hand: Big Brother will know EVERYTHING that you buy since you can no longer pay with cash...

How will kids shoplift?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    How will kids shoplift?
    Easy, take the price sending unit off an inexpensive item and put it on an expensive item. If they are non-removable, if they are damaged, will they send out a distress signal or go silent and let you walk out without being billed?

Again as I said above, this is a slap in the face to youngsters who just want to make a buck legally and running a register is not a bad way to earn a buck, or older retired people who are bored and just want to get out of the house and earn an extra buck or two.

Knut this is JUST starting. Remember service station attendants? "You can trust your car to the man that wears the star." Texaco

be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Knut this is JUST starting. Remember service station attendants? "You can trust your car to the man that wears the star." Texaco
    Forgot all about those, and to think when I was a teen my neighbor owned a Texaco station and became my first official employer.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Speaking of Texaco! Are they going bye bye? The only one here in Hobe Sound, turned into an Exxon Station, I rarely see Texaco in my area and not sure where another one is? Have you noticed that in your area? Paul
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post

Remember gas pumps that said "Contains tetraethyl lead"?

Remember the gas pumps that had a little clear ball on the side that had a spinny thing inside that rotated when the gas was flowing?

Remember the gas guy ALSO washing the windows and checking your oil?

Remember when the numbers on the gas pump said something like "49.9 cents per gallon"?

Remember when gasoline was real gasoline? It smelled different, it didn't knock in the engine, didn't have "10 percent ethanol" in it and premium really WAS premium?

Remember when you didn't have to put in 50 cents to use the shop air to top off your tires?

Remember when we didn't have school shootings?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Our problem is we are dinosaurs and it happens to every generation, Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Remember gas pumps that said "Contains tetraethyl lead"?

Remember the gas pumps that had a little clear ball on the side that had a spinny thing inside that rotated when the gas was flowing?

Remember the gas guy ALSO washing the windows and checking your oil?

Remember when the numbers on the gas pump said something like "49.9 cents per gallon"?

Remember when gasoline was real gasoline? It smelled different, it didn't knock in the engine, didn't have "10 percent ethanol" in it and premium really WAS premium?

Remember when you didn't have to put in 50 cents to use the shop air to top off your tires?

Remember when we didn't have school shootings?
    Yes. Why?

be the heat..

I think there will still be a need for employees to stock the shelves, keep the place clean and tidy, etc...

There will become a niche market for the old time grocery where real people work, run the checkouts and bag the groceries, help gramma beepbeep to her car and load it for her, and assist shoppers looking for this and that. All of these are things computers will nto be able to do for a good long while yet.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"