Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Convertible water cooled & air cooled Ruger 10/22 rifle stock

Convertible water cooled & air cooled Ruger 10/22 rifle stock

How do you like my latest build? A convertible to air cooled or water cooled dress up stock for the Ruger 10/22 rifle. The water cooled version, is truly water cooled, not a fake water jacket.

I've built 3 prototypes now of my dress up stocks for the Ruger 10/22 rifle that utilize a crankfire trigger activator. My first prototype was an air cooled only model here.....

My second prototype was a truly water cooled model here....

Both first and second prototypes here....

Then I started on my 3rd final prototype.
    Although nothing is anodized yet, the following pics give a good representation of how the convertible to air or water cooled, 3rd prototype, dress up stock will look when completed.

On my first air cooled prototype dress up stock I started on about 4 years ago, I designed it from the start to just have a rear spider sight and tall front sight to resemble a Browning anti-aircraft gun. It had not occurred to me to build a water cooled one yet, not to mention an easily convertible to either air or water cooled one like my current third prototype is.

On my first water cooled prototype I used a front sight on the water jacket of my own design that resembles a Browning 1917's hooded front post sight. On the rear I used a sight mount of my own design that holds and allows spring assisted raising of the WW1 Enfield rifle's ladder sight, that I have modified to enable to be used for windage in my sight mount. Works very well and looks historically representative of tripod machine gun's sights from that era my dress up stock resembles.

After making an air cooled and a water cooled dress up stock. I had taught myself a lot. In looking at both my designs I realized there were improvements I could make. On my 3rd prototype, I redesigned the way the water jacket seals and thus made the water jacket easily removable and able to be replaced in just seconds with a perforated air cooling shroud which has the front sight for the air cooled version built in. Thus by changing out the front end of the stock from one version to the other, you can still continue to use the same water cooled rear sight but the front 1919a4 style sight is replaced as in these below three earlier photos showing a mockup of the 1919a4 front sight, and a mockup of my rear sight which I have since changed to only have the triangle on the left side, just like the Browning 1919a4.

So with this 3rd prototype I could have one sighting system for each version that would only change the front sight when switched between the water cooled or air cooled versions.

But then I decided to also be able to use AA spider sights on the air cooled model also
    as in these mockups here where the rear and front sight are not yet attached yet....

Last night I made the quick removable rear ladder sight bracket. That once removed, will not have any unsightly threaded holes. So that I can mount the spider sights on the air cooled version when I switch out the front end. I realized that I could mill off the triangle on the right side, and just keep the triangle on the left side (like on a real Browning 1919) and still be able to secure the sight bracket without it having any kind of looseness or "rock" at all. All that is left to do with this sight bracket is to drill and tap the sight riser plate for the ladder sight's spring, and then to drill the sight protector "ears" and install a small diameter bolt through them and the ladder sight so I can effect windage. The 1917 Enfield rifle ladder sight I am using did not have the ability for windage. It was a flip up type only. So I tapped its pin hole where it flipped up, so it is threaded. The small diameter bolt I will put through it will enable me to turn the bolt to make the ladder sight travel left or right on the bolt, thus effecting windage. I left the sight protective "ears" a little higher than I needed until I mount the ladder sight's spring and the sight itself. Then I may be able to trim the “ears” down some maybe an 1/8th inch or so. So when you look at it now, the protective ears may look a little higher than they will eventually be. When I made them, I figured better to have them too high and be able to trim them after I finished mounting the sight and its spring, than to have made them too short. You can always trim metal, but it is hard to add when you have cut off.

Here's a link to a short video.
    CLIP1314.ASF videos from good times videos on webshots

....and the pics....

Looks cool, very nice machining as usual.

That is pretty neat. I think when you are done it will be the best looking 10/22 I have ever seen.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Very neat. I like the look of the water cooled gun.
    I remember some years ago reading about a water cooled prairie dog rig that somebody built, it used heat exchangers and coolers - the whole cooling set up was in the back of a pick up truck - pretty industrious
    Welcome back to the new GunsNet!

You sir, are certifiably insane.

And I like that mam.

I like that a lot!

I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Excellent work; some of the best, if not the best I've ever seen!

Awesome!

Thanks fellas. Glad to know y'all liked it.
    I'll update on further progress.

I used to be a member when this was the Guns Network LLC.
    But when I tried to log in recently, it wouldn't take.
    So I figured everything must have changed and my old membership
    must have gotten deleted. So I rejoined.

Welcome back I guess. But that is some really good looking hardware.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 gewehr44's Avatar

Awesome. I wonder if its possible to make a 10/22 belt fed...

Quote Originally Posted by gewehr44 View Post
    Awesome. I wonder if its possible to make a 10/22 belt fed...

It might be possible if you modified the bolt and fed the gun from the right side. But I haven't thought about that enough to say if it could be done without having to do other modifications to the gun besides the bolt. Which I don't like to do. I like working around an existing guns's design without modifying it. I like things that are "drop in" without having to do mods on the gun's receiver or any of the gun's other parts.

I've had a secret design for several years that I drew, that belt feeds the magazine instead of the gun and is applicable not only to the Ruger 10/22, but all other magazine fed firearms, even pistols, (though that would look and be cumbersome on pistols). No modification to the gun in any way. Just change out a regular mag for the belt fed mag, and no expensive belt fed uppers to buy. But I can't say anything more about it, or about how my belt fed mag design works, due to patent reasons. But it is do'able and I am really surprised no one else has done it already. I started making two of the housings, but that got put on a back burner until I can get this prototype dress up stock completed and to market first. Then I'll get back on the belt fed mag, patent it, then market it. It would make a nice accessory to my dress up stock with a crankfire and a belt fed mag that could have unlimited belts attached to it. Nice accessory for other guns too, like the AK and AR. Sorry I can't say more right now. Hope you understand, patent protection and all that.

Last edited by Bill Akins; 11-02-2010 at 04:47 AM.

Very cool indeed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Akins View Post
    Thanks fellas. Glad to know y'all liked it.
    I'll update on further progress.

I used to be a member when this was the Guns Network LLC.
    But when I tried to log in recently, it wouldn't take.
    So I figured everything must have changed and my old membership
    must have gotten deleted. So I rejoined.
    This is the same place, just new servers for now. Once things get settled, the plan is to integrate both sets of servers.
    I aim to misbehave...

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

Nice work, Bill!! Congrats!! I'll be following your adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by awp101 View Post
    This is the same place, just new servers for now. Once things get settled, the plan is to integrate both sets of servers.
    When both sets of servers become integrated, will that mean my old membership from Gunsnetwork LLC will also be available? And if it is, shouldn't my old membership be deleted now that I've re-joined with my new membership? Might get confusing on the member's list otherwise to have myself as a member here twice.

Quote Originally Posted by az_paul View Post
    Nice work, Bill!! Congrats!! I'll be following your adventure.
    Thanks Paul, glad you like it. I'll post updates at this thread as I get them made.

Any vids of it in action?

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    Any vids of it in action?
    I haven't done any firing videos of this 3rd, final prototype yet. But it will fire exactly the same way my earlier two prototypes do.
    You can see them fire at this below You Tube video....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFkGUC7Bo5U

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Akins View Post
    When both sets of servers become integrated, will that mean my old membership from Gunsnetwork LLC will also be available? And if it is, shouldn't my old membership be deleted now that I've re-joined with my new membership? Might get confusing on the member's list otherwise to have myself as a member here twice.
    As I understand it, they will be merged. I can barely turn one of these black boxes on so I have to trust whatever fancy schmancy software used during the process will handle it and whatever gets goofed will be handled manually.

Those that registered here with a different user name than the one they used on the old site might have problems though.
    I aim to misbehave...

swampdragon

Thumbs up

Wow.
    NICE job!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast