Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AMC - The Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Scholl View Post
    That tank was an M-60 dressed up to look like an Abrams. I noticed that after looking at it for a couple of seconds.

The thing that annoys me the most about these zombie flicks is the fact that you've got no one running around with any kind of modern weapons. It's 2010, AR's and AK's are two of the most popular rifles being sold today and have been for at least 10 years, but everybody's still running around with old fashioned bolt guns, revolvers, and shotguns. The only thing modern you'll see any civilian carrying is a Glock pistol or a Beretta.

And on a side note, I almost cried when they rolled the 71 GTO Judge.
    I noticed the tank tonight, it is def an M-60 so then YES, a dressed up M-60 would def have a hatch ;-). Also, that was probably not a "Numbers Car" so I wouldn't sweat it to much.

As far as no one having hardware like "us", it seems a little strange to me too. Maybe the "we's" of that world went a little hog wild with their Zombie fantasy comming true and shot up all the 5.56 and 7.62 in the first couple weeks. ;-)
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 gewehr44's Avatar

Well, no surprise that they threw in the standard racist white (redneck?) stereotype. I was a little dismayed to see the zombies using tools (bricks or stones) as well.

Note that I've never seen the graphic novel, so perhaps these are all part of the original story line.

As far as weaponry, you'd think there'd be plenty around left by the zombiefied soldiers, though perhaps not as much ammo for obvious reasons. There shouldn't be a reason for anyone left to go unarmed.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

Here in Singapore, it's coming on every Friday night. Which is pretty good, only a 5 day delay between US airing and Asia. So, I've only seen the first episode.

Random thoughts:

-Yeah, right at the start I was thinking "Holy shit, you just saw a hospital with blood and bullet marks all over and a disemboweled torso crawling around and you aren't frantically searching that Huey and deuce and a half for a gun?!"

-I thought the dad and son were pretty cavalier about security, considering their house was surrounded by zombies. Just sleeping on the ground level right by the door...?

-The mom tried to open the door because, I think, she has some memories of life. She died in that house. Maybe more of that will come into the show later (I've not read the comics).

-I wasn't sure about the floor hatch on an M1. Interesting to know it doesn't have one.
    But a little willing suspension of disbelief is ok with me, since many AFVs do.

-I liked how when he fired inside the tank, it disoriented him, as firing a magnum inside a metal box actually would. Some realism there.

-I think zombies are "supposed" to not have liquid blood. The Zombie Survivial Guide says their blood is thickly congealed, so that it's hard to get infected by close range attacks on them. When he killed that first zombie with the baseball bat, he was wearing a clear face shield though.

-All in all, a damn good show. Unlike movies, they don't have to wrap it all up neatly in 2 hours.

-I wonder if his partner was doing his wife before all this happened?

Quote Originally Posted by T2K View Post
    -Yeah, right at the start I was thinking "Holy shit, you just saw a hospital with blood and bullet marks all over and a disemboweled torso crawling around and you aren't frantically searching that Huey and deuce and a half for a gun?!"
    Yup, apart from the leaving the hospital in a jimmy, dead behind the padlocked door, that was my thought too. He's a cop and he's not looking any/everywhere for a weapon? WTF is he thinking??? Again, this seems to be part of the whole 'folks in zombie movies who've never seen a zombie movie or even imagined there could be such a thing as zombies'...a parallel universe where no author/writer/director has ever imagined something like zombies having ever existed. Granted, zombies aren't quite as old or tradition bound in folktales as vampires and werewolves, but come on...

-I liked how when he fired inside the tank, it disoriented him, as firing a magnum inside a metal box actually would. Some realism there.
    I liked that too, that was a nice realistic touch.

-I wonder if his partner was doing his wife before all this happened?
    You know, I hadn't thought of that. I was definitely thinking WTF, a week or so into a zombie plague and his wife and partner are boinkin' each other as if he never existed? Granted, he and the wife were having problems, but one would think both the wife and partner would have had some respect for their presumed dead husband/friend, not to mention the basic respect for boundaries that many of us (hopefully) possess. I'd never considered that his partner was already fuckin' his wife behind his back.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

Oswald - Yeah, that's a good description - a parallel universe where the idea or fiction about zombies doesn't exist. Whereas, in reality, if any of us saw somebody shambling down a street with blood on their face and shirt we would immediately think "Zombie! Quick, headshoot him and then barricade the house!"

Remember at the start of the first episode, he was complaining to his partner about problems with his wife? Maybe the partner was the root cause of the problems?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Oswald - Yeah, that's a good description - a parallel universe where the idea or fiction about zombies doesn't exist. Whereas, in reality, if any of us saw somebody shambling down a street with blood on their face and shirt we would immediately think "Zombie! Quick, headshoot him and then barricade the house!"

Remember at the start of the first episode, he was complaining to his partner about problems with his wife? Maybe the partner was the root cause of the problems?
    Unless it's near October 31st. Which is the only way you're going to see what you described. My advise is to DON"T SHOOT!

On the wife thing; during the opener of episode 1 I was thinking his wife was cheating on him as he described her hostile behavior. Then at the end when they showed the wife with the partner I said .... ah-ha slut was jumping his partner before the Zombie outbreak. On a week after, there isn't any definition on how long it was after he gets shot. It could of been a lot longer than a week, the guy was in a coma. Could of been weeks after the hospital was overun. Notice he was a tad thirsty and his legs didn't work for crap when he first came around.

On the now AR-15 / AK weapons. Yeah I also agree especially a Cop should of had access to M16's in the armory. Hell if I'd go with a 8 or 9 shot 12 ga and a freaking wheel gun! Way insufficient firepower if you're being swarmed on.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 11-08-2010 at 07:15 AM.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    On the wife thing; during the opener of episode 1 I was thinking his wife was cheating on him as he described her hostile behavior. Then at the end when they showed the wife with the partner I said .... ah-ha slut was jumping his partner before the Zombie outbreak.

That's exactly what I was thinking. They were hooking up before all this happened.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Just finished watching 'Guts'. Very good....was sitting on the edge of my seat the whole. They've went off script a bit from the books but no biggie .....still loving every minute of it. Even after reading the books it's never said exactly how long Grimes was in a coma and when the outbreak started. I'm ready for more!
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

In the next espisode #3, it sounds like he gets to meet back up with his wife. They also indicated that they're going back for the redneck douche bag handcuffed to the top of the building.

When they were talking about needing a distraction to get them out to make a run for the trucks, they mentioned how they didn't have a distraction like the mass feeding frenzy on the horse. I was waiting to see if they were going to kill the redneck and toss him over the edge... how many of you were waiting for that too?

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

I was definitely wanting the "edge toss!" LOL

As predictably fun as the show is, I told my wife, I bet that Asian kid is FLYING down the highway in that Challenger! That's EXACTLY what I'd be doing! LOL!!!!! ...then it ends with him doing exactly that. Ha!
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Shooter View Post
    I was definitely wanting the "edge toss!" LOL

As predictably fun as the show is, I told my wife, I bet that Asian kid is FLYING down the highway in that Challenger! That's EXACTLY what I'd be doing! LOL!!!!! ...then it ends with him doing exactly that. Ha!
    The only problem with that was he left the alarm on so when he stops, they will head toward the charger!
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Why would they have told the brother that they handcuffed his bro? Why not just say he didnt make it lol

Of course then again maybe he would make it and come back for them...
    AKA "Rampantscot"

Handcuffed the brother.... I think that two people could have kept the lie, but eventually one of the others would have blabbed. Right wrong indifferent, the black guy should have shot the handcuff to open it, tossed him the hacksaw, or just kept his mouth shut.

I watched it on Channel 131, and it ended with the Asian kid hauling ass down the highway in the Challenger? Is that how the episode ended? It seemed a little cut off.

Very good over all. I'd be interested to know how they got that Challenger started with a screwdriver. Unlikely.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    Handcuffed the brother.... I think that two people could have kept the lie, but eventually one of the others would have blabbed. Right wrong indifferent, the black guy should have shot the handcuff to open it, tossed him the hacksaw, or just kept his mouth shut.
    They showed that black guy knocking over the tool bag, not sure why since I seem to recall it was too far from the handcuffed guy for him to reach but they specifically showed him knocking it off the catwalk or what ever it was sitting on. My bet is they go back and the guy is gone. From there who knows. The black guy locked the door to the rooftop with a chain and paddlock so it's not like any walkers could get to him.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Zygomatic View Post
    I watched it on Channel 131, and it ended with the Asian kid hauling ass down the highway in the Challenger? Is that how the episode ended? It seemed a little cut off.

Very good over all. I'd be interested to know how they got that Challenger started with a screwdriver. Unlikely.
    It is how it ended...
    I am guessing in this scenario people just left things the way they were..with keys in the cars and so on..just a though...
    AKA "Rampantscot"

in reality, if any of us saw somebody shambling down a street with blood on their face and shirt we would immediately think "Zombie! Quick, headshoot him and then barricade the house!"
    I've actually seen this IRL. The guy was even twitching, slathering, and agressivley trying to attack anything that came with arms reach. Jaundiced face, sunken eyes, messed up clothes, open wounds, the whole nine yards!

Ecept he was in the throws of amphetamine psychosis, and not "literaly" dead yet.

See, zombies are real. They just folow real world rules in the real wolrd. Tending to be crazy drug adicts or fanatics instead of animated corpses. But zombies to letter in every other respect. Seen em myself, I have...

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 gewehr44's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    They showed that black guy knocking over the tool bag, not sure why since I seem to recall it was too far from the handcuffed guy for him to reach but they specifically showed him knocking it off the catwalk or what ever it was sitting on. My bet is they go back and the guy is gone. From there who knows. The black guy locked the door to the rooftop with a chain and paddlock so it's not like any walkers could get to him.
    +1. I think the guy is able to get the tools & free himself. I suspect he will show up in a later episode to try & exact some revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by gewehr44 View Post
    +1. I think the guy is able to get the tools & free himself. I suspect he will show up in a later episode to try & exact some revenge.
    Eh, they've already showed him in some preview trailers...he's back with the group. The main character has a gun to his head (the redneck about to shoot someone) saying something about "how many times have I told you, don't kill the living!"
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    he main character has a gun to his head (the redneck about to shoot someone) saying something about "how many times have I told you, don't kill the living!"
    Goddamn no fucking edit...

To clear that last statement up, the redneck is about to shoot someone who's still alive when the main character stops him, with a line something like what I've quoted.

So, GNS, am I wasting more bandwidth not being able to edit my post and creating another one, or less?

Just curious...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast