Thread: Brass Cleaning Media.

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Brass Cleaning Media.

Now i am talking dry media for your tumbler. What do you use . How much do you pay. And where do you buy it from.

Also what is your favorite recommendation of cleaning media.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

I only use crushed walnut from midway .

with the recommended amount of Dillon polish plus 7-10 1x1 patches soaked with Dillon brass polish

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I use only crushed walnut media as well. It cleans way faster than corn cob. I use Flitz polish squirted into it. How much does it cost, hell if I can remember. Last time I bought any it was 1999. Been running off of that batch since then. I think I recall reading that crushed walnut hulls is sold in bulk at some pet stores to put in reptile tanks as a soil substitute. Haven't looked for any yet but I am about due to get some more, the old stuff is wearing out.

go to the pet store and get a bag of "lizard litter" its ground up walnut shells.about six bucks if i remember right.works good.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Walnut media with liquid car polish if I care to make them shine.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 Crash's Avatar

I use corn cob media first and then use crushed walnut media with some Nu finish added. I buy the media from the pet store at half the cost of the local reloading store. The only thing I learned is to watch the size of the corn cob media as some of it is bigger than the reloading type and it can get stuck inside the casings.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

If you have a tumbler - not a vibratory cleaner, then I would suggest giving ceramic spheres a shot. They can be washed to clean them up and will last for ever. They can be used with products like flitz too.

I use them in my vibratory M3 but I can't put that much brass in at one time - but a tumbler does not have that problem.

I got it here: http://www.rhodesmktg.com/products/c...amicmedia.html

You can choose another shape if you like - the media comes in all kinds of shapes and sizes. IIRC mine is 2mm diameter.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

I prefer walnut. I get mine in 25# bags from the pet store for less than $20. It is sold as reptile bedding. I also have a 25# bag of corn cob from the pet store too.