Thread: Came home with a new to me USED H&R 10 ga shotgun, single shot Magnum 3-1/2"

Came home with a new to me USED H&R 10 ga shotgun, single shot Magnum 3-1/2"

Now what to do with it??? It's not all that pretty but the metal and wood are in excellent condition and got a fair deal on it. The 10ga attracted me right away. When I saw how much metal there is in the barrel I immediately thought CHOP !

I'm sure there are no options for it, it is what it is. If cut down to say the obligitory 18.250" barrel length for a protection piece, what would the pattern be like with something like BB or 00 buck? I've found both to be readily available loads online.

Pics of this beast, tough to get into frame with 36" barrel

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Aw man, you are going to love it as is, about the most fun you can have with clothes on is shooting that 36" tube with #3 steel shot. I found it groups pretty good in my gun, #4 and #6 group pretty good too but at 25 yards 00 sucks. A big old donut around the target a German shepherd could walk through without damage. You cut half the barrel off and I think you will find that it isn't fun to shoot anymore. You will really want all that metal out in front of you unless you are a whole lot tougher than I am. Goose or boogermen, #3 will be a fine load.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

LOL

Thanks Old Grump!!! You're right about cutting it down, I do want to enjoy shooting it at least for a while. I'm sure it will draw some attention. When I got it home and the 3.5" magnum began registering I started questioning the CHOP idea but it keeps coming back. She is safe for now. Thanks for the #3 load advice

Are the 36 inch barrels "rare"?

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Are the 36 inch barrels "rare"?
    Not on goose guns. Somehow it just seems to be a really good idea when you are shooting a single shot 10 gauge.

I found this if you have a Remington

Deluxe 36” - Remington Model 870 or 1100 with factory sights, sleeved, match chamber, blued ........................................ $495

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

No I'm talking about the 36 inch 10 ga H&R's..

They can't be that special for $75+tax. But then again I was talking with a good ol'boy who said the goose hunters still like them and look for the 36"

Quote Originally Posted by Infidelski View Post
    They can't be that special for $75+tax. But then again I was talking with a good ol'boy who said the goose hunters still like them and look for the 36"
    You might be surprised...

I have had 2 10ga or 3.5in 12ga I love that caliber its hell on geese! one was a SBS ithica the other my mossburt 28in semi http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossb...w/82034.jpgman does that leave a mark .

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

I use to have one with extra full choke. Very devastating gun.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

How surprised could I be, hopefully VERY? So far I've seen them as high as $150 online and hear tell that the serious goosers may go $250 or more...

How does one measure choke on a 10ga????

I think 10 gauges measure between .760 and .790, you'll have to use calipers to verify what you have but I'd suspect it's full choke with a 36 inch barrel.

Mine is full choke and I suspect that is precisely why it doesn't like buckshot. Up to #3 shot the patterns are nice and tight but anything bigger than that is pretty bad.

THUCYDIDES.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I think 10 gauges measure between .760 and .790, you'll have to use calipers to verify what you have but I'd suspect it's full choke with a 36 inch barrel.
    A true 10 gauge bore should measure 0.775".

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    A true 10 gauge bore should measure 0.775".

Steve
    I was referring to choke at the muzzle not the bore size (and yes I know it's more then just the restriction at the muzzle)

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

Now that sounds like a great toy!! Congrats!!

Full choke will be between .735 to .745 depending on whether its a light full, full or extra full choke. Since it's a modern barrel it has the long tapered choke for steel shot and since it's designed for long range fowl shooting I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that we have a .740 or .735 choke. I don't really have a way to measure so it's a guess on my part.

THUCYDIDES.