Thread: Manurhin/ Walther Model PP

Manurhin/ Walther Model PP

Post war Manurhin/ Walther Model PP. .32 cal.

Walther's original factory was located in Zella-Mehlis in the state (Land) of Thuringia, in present-day eastern Germany. As that part of Germany was occupied by the Soviet Union following World War II, Walther was forced to flee to West Germany, where they established a new factory in Ulm. However, for several years following the war, the Allied powers forbade any manufacture of weapons in Germany. As a result, in 1952, Walther licensed production of the PP series pistols to a French company, Manufacture de Machines du Haut-Rhin, also known as Manurhin. The French company continued to manufacture the PP series until 1986. In fact, all postwar European-made PP series pistols manufactured until 1986 were manufactured by Manurhin, even though the pistol slide may bear the markings of the Walther factory in Ulm.
    This pistol employs a loaded indicator pin so that when there is a cartridge in the chamber, the rear of the cartridge impinges on the pin where it protrudes from the back of the slide and informing the operator that there is a round in the chamber. The plastic grips are marked with the Manurhin name & logo at the top, and marked "Lic.Walther.PP" at the very bottom.

I received mine in a box, but the box was not marked "Manurhin" like others I saw. Luck of the draw, I guess.

A close-up shows the factory marks, and that it was produced under license of Walther.

The PPK/S was developed following the enactment of the Gun Control Act of 1968 in the United States, the pistol's largest market. One of the provisions of GCA68 banned the importation of pistols and revolvers not meeting certain requirements of length, weight, and other "sporting" features into the U.S. The PPK failed the "Import Points" test of the GCA68 by a single point. (See image of ATF Form 4590 for the complete list of qualifying points). Walther addressed this situation by combining the PP's frame with the PPK's barrel and slide to create a pistol that weighed slightly more than the PPK. The additional ounce or two of weight of the PPK/S compared to the PPK was sufficient to provide the extra needed import points.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 TakeFive's Avatar

Good info 6, thanks. I have two Ulm Walthers, a PP, ca 1966 and a PPK/S, ca 1969.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, in practice, there is.

You found a really nice one. My first PP is a Manurhin, one of those from Centerfire when they were flooding in. Since then I added a Manurhin PP in 22lr & 380. And then Manurhin PPK in 7.65 & 380.

You found a really nice one. My first PP is a Manurhin, one of those from Centerfire when they were flooding in. Since then I added a Manurhin PP in 22lr & 380. And then Manurhin PPK in 7.65 & 380.
    That's an excellent collection you have there.