Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Psl pics

Psl pics

Post 'em if ya got 'em!!!

With the price of Tigrs, NDM's and SVD's so high, whats a man to do? Get a PSL of course.

Hoping to get this one to shoot reasonably well. Not happy yet, but I'm working on it.

Any way post up some pics.

Hey Jack!

Very nice looking PSL you got there! What flavor ammo are you feeding her?

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

видеодон

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ATAK, Inc. View Post
    Hey Jack!

Very nice looking PSL you got there! What flavor ammo are you feeding her?
    Yes indeed, I like that dark stain color he's used.

Thanks guys. Nice one Don.

Just got back from the range, with good results this time. Have not had this one very long, so I'm trying to work the bugs out. First outing was mainly a function test and a rough zero, on a steel gong at 200 yards. It functioned pretty well but had some FTF from the mag, on the right side only. No big deal on that. What was bad, could barely keep rounds on the 12" circle at 200 yards. Missed more than I hit.

At home cleaned it up, and gave it a look over. The crown looked jacked up, touched that up a bit. Had to cut down a ways as the chrome looked like it had flaked off in a few places. Back at the range it shot about the same. On paper at 100 yards, was getting 8 + inch , five round groups. This was with Russian light ball, Polish light ball, 7n1, and Wolf 148. Not too happy at this point. Tried a different scope and noticed the scope would bind a bit, about half way forward, then get loose again as it was pushed forward. Tightened the original scope clamp a notch and it did the same thing. This scope also looks like it had a hard life. Swapped it with another Tip2 I had.

Filed and lapped the scope rail. Now it seems to get tighter as the scope is pushed forward. Was able to tighten the clamp two notches total. The gas tube was very tight against the gas block. Filed it down a little, and sanded the front interior of the tube to give it a little clearance. Installed the Rhineland stock. The better cheek weld helped for sure. Its not the best, but a definite improvement. Groups pretty much stayed under 4 inches at 100 yards. Several were closer to 3 inches for five round groups.

Maybe some trigger work next? Smoothed it up a bit, but its still around 5.5 pounds.

The stock didn't turn out quite like I planned. Wanted that Russian iodine look. Reading online, someone used some leather die, and had good results. Used Cordovan(reddish brown), red, then yellow. It looked pretty good. I like Boiled Linseed oil finish for stocks. Applied that and it pulled the yellow out of the stock. Nice. The stock looked like hell. Spots of yellow, and some weird almost greenish color. Guess it was some reaction with the BLO?

Plan B: Cleaned the stock with denatured alcohol. This seemed to pull the rest of the yellow out. Applied three coats of amber shellac. Nice and sloppy, just like the Russians.

Good enough for now. Happy this thing is shooting better.

Two guys on this board have PSL's ? Ok...

Got out to the range again today with mixed results. Shot some Polish surplus and got about 3 inch groups. Another group was larger. Must have gotten some funky Russian ammo, as some of it had a fraction of a second hang fire. Five inch groups with this stuff. Got a group under 2.5 inches, with 7n1. Next group with with it was 4.5 inches. Not too consistent yet. Anyway, had a good time. Weather was pretty good, mid 50's and wind was only around 10 mph. Here's some more pics......

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Nice Rifle.

I have a PSL as well; mine just has the regular stock. Also I haven't shot mine yet, so I cannot speak for its accuracy.

I have a case of copper washed 1986 Czech 147 gr, I'll probably save it for the mosins. I also have a case of 1984 Hungarian grey lacquer coated 147 gr. I heard the copper washed can cause failure to feed in semi-autos, so I figured I'd use the lacquer coat in it.

Either of those choices of ammo should work well . Have some Hungarian too. Next time I open a tin of it, I'll try it out.

Heres mine(for now) in a few days it might be sold on gunbroker.
    FATE It protects Fools,Small children and ships named Enterprise.

Here:

Nice guys.

Say it ain't so romakdaddy.

Good to see you around Vit.

Quote Originally Posted by hilljack View Post
    Nice guys.

Say it ain't so romakdaddy.

Good to see you around Vit.
    unfortunatly it is.ive been craving a 308 AR for a couple of years and with finances the way they are I have to sell to buy...ill regret selling it but maybe later ill buy and/or build another I just know another 308 version is likely to be harder to find.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Still using Ezra's pic...

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post

Still using Ezra's pic...
    I loved all those Ezra pics, too bad he went all soft on us...

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.

Last edited by btcave; 12-09-2010 at 08:42 AM.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

my PSL sold and it gets to live an interesting life from now on.the buyer supplies training guns to the military and my PSL will be converted to firing blanks for training.hopefully i can get some pics of it in action but i doubt it.

Thought I'd post a pic of my PSL. I've had this for several years now, It's an IO SSG-97 Romy made. Has the 6x42 scope. I refinished the wood a darker red and added a higher cheek rest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smash View Post
    Thought I'd post a pic of my PSL. I've had this for several years now, It's an IO SSG-97 Romy made. Has the 6x42 scope. I refinished the wood a darker red and added a higher cheek rest.
    Very, VERY NICE!
    видеодон

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Well, shit. I may as well post mine too.

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Those are all nice rifles guys and the photos are nice enough that now you all got me thinking about getting one. Sold off my SVT40 so I really need to get another semi-auto in 7.62x54r.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast