Thread: Question about installing new hammer on a Beretta 92FS

Question about installing new hammer on a Beretta 92FS

I'm gonna install a new hammer in my 92FS, seems very straightforward, but I do have a question I hope someone can answer for me. Do I need to remove the mainspring(hammer spring)before removing the hammer pin, hammer, and hammer strut, or does it matter?
    Hope someone can enlighten me as to what to do, thanks.
    "Shoot him, cut out his tongue, then shoot his tongue"

I would as it seems having the pins under tension could damage the parts when removed (you can elongate holes, etc...). Some designs I've worked on have a keeper built into the strut that allows you pin the spring in such a way it removes the tension for removal (basically a hole you stick a small pin through).

I've never worked on a 92F so consider that in this advice

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

also never worked on one, but i would concur with mriddick. if nothing else, it will make it a lot easier with the tension off.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I would as it seems having the pins under tension could damage the parts when removed (you can elongate holes, etc...). Some designs I've worked on have a keeper built into the strut that allows you pin the spring in such a way it removes the tension for removal (basically a hole you stick a small pin through).

I've never worked on a 92F so consider that in this advice
    I ended up first removing the mainspring, which was pretty simple except for the amount of force required to compress the spring cap enough to remove the pin. After that, it was literally a fifteen second operation. Thanks for your reply...

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    also never worked on one, but i would concur with mriddick. if nothing else, it will make it a lot easier with the tension off.
    That it did, it was ridiculously simple, hardest part was getting the compressed enough to remove the retaining pin.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    You found out that the hardest part is what seems should be the simplest, to compress the lanyard ring into the frame enough to allow you to easily remove the retaining pin.

While you had it apart, you should have replaced the hammer spring with one from a 92D. It lightens up the double action trigger pull about 2 pounds and takes some off the single action pull. Now that you know how to do it, wouldn't be a bad thing to think about for the future.