Thread: The death of Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

The death of Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

Okay, I have been reading about Franz Ferdinand’s assassination online, and there are a few facts that people don’t seem to have right. Most agree that the guns used was a Browning, but some seem to disagree about which one. Even among the ones that do agree there is disagreement about what caliber it was. On Wikipedia's article about the assassination it says it as a .380 (9x17mm). Then in Wikipedia’s article about the .32 ACP (7.65x17mm) it says that it was used to kill both Ferdinand and Adolf Hitler. I think I read in other places that it was .32, and I understand that .32 was the more popular caliber in Europe at the time. The pistol that did it is supposedly in the National Army Museum in Vienna. It seems that nobody has ever taken detailed photos of the markings on it. Does anyone have any better details about this? I also cannot find information about how many times he fired. Most of the information comes from contradict themselves.

It was always my understanding that the pistol in question was a Browning (FN) Model 1900 chambered in .32 auto.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

No idea, but welcome to the board.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Good question! Without looking though, I'd guess it was the .32 based on the available small arms of the time. Especially ones available to a broke ass d-bag like Gavrilo Princip who only needed a throw away piece as back up in case the bomb sceme failed. Which it did... and the rest is history!

I use to be on here back in the day. But, I didn't go on for quite a while, then when I came back my profile and 800 posts were gone. Thanks though.

I know what you mean. I miss my old post count, but am too busy to run it back up.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 gewehr44's Avatar

My recollection is also that both pistols you mention were in .32 acp.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

I believe most records will show that an FN Model 1910, serial number 19074, was used to kill the Archduke Franz Ferdinand. This pistol was chambered in .32 ACP.

Princip was standing near Moritz Schiller's cafe, having apparently given up, when he spotted Franz Ferdinand's car as it drove past, having taken the wrong turn. After realizing the mistake, the driver put his foot on the brake, and began to back up. In doing so the engine of the car stalled and the gears locked, giving Princip his opportunity. Princip stepped forward, drew his FN Model 1910 pistol,[7] pistol-whipped a nearby pedestrian, and at a distance of about five feet, fired twice into the car. Franz Ferdinand was hit in the neck and Sophie (who instinctively covered Franz's body with her own after the first shot) in the abdomen, and they both died before 11 a.m.

Reference - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavrilo...ip#cite_note-6

Steve
    Last edited by Gunreference1; 11-24-2010 at 05:27 AM.
    After today, it's all historical.