Thread: What do I need to do to give a pistol to my son??????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question What do I need to do to give a pistol to my son??????

We are going to spend Christmas with my oldest son and his family. Can't wait to see the grandkids! Anyway, I was going to give my son one of my pistols and maybe a rifle. I've never given a pistol/firearm to someone so I don't know the process. What do I have to do to get it in his name. Go to a local gunshop where he lives and they can take care of it? Your guys help, like always, is greatly appreciated.
    "Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...
    Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number,
    its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Iron Maiden

if i am not mistaken you can just give him the gun. family can gift firearms to one another just like a no-paper in state transfer.

and "in his name"? pish-posh! that sounds like registration.
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by Broondog View Post
    if i am not mistaken you can just give him the gun. family can gift firearms to one another just like a no-paper in state transfer.

and "in his name"? pish-posh! that sounds like registration.
    He lives in New Mexico and I live in North Carolina.
    "Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...
    Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number,

Iron Maiden

I'd just give them too him.

However, if you feel you need to CYA, transfer it like you would if you were selling it to an out of state person. (IE ship it too a FFL holder in his state and have them transfer it to him.)

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Just give it to him and remind him that you gave it to him when he lived at home...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by AK-J View Post
    I'd just give them too him.

However, if you feel you need to CYA, transfer it like you would if you were selling it to an out of state person. (IE ship it too a FFL holder in his state and have them transfer it to him.)
    He can take it with him to the FFL and do the transfer, if he feels the need to do a CYA transfer. No need to ship it seperately, since he's going there himself.

Do I need to give him the purchase receipt either way I give the weapons to him?
    Last edited by cciota; 11-23-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Iron Maiden

DeadPool
    Quote Originally Posted by cciota View Post
    We are going to spend Christmas with my oldest son and his family. Can't wait to see the grandkids! Anyway, I was going to give my son one of my pistols and maybe a rifle. I've never given a pistol/firearm to someone so I don't know the process. What do I have to do to get it in his name. Go to a local gunshop where he lives and they can take care of it? Your guys help, like always, is greatly appreciated.
    Wrap it up is christmas paper and put it under his tree. no need for any other BS. Then again, I live in the south. Check local laws.

swampdragon
    As far as I know, you can just give him the gun like everybody else already said.
    However, if you want a paper trail just to show the gun is "officially" his, then yes....any local gun dealer in his area can do that too.

Even in California you can give a gun to your son. Unless they changed it.
    "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire

“It’s not the Gun in Gun Control that bothers me. It’s the Control" -Nimbly

"A cop is to heavy to carry in my pocket, that is why I carry a gun" -unknown

Ron Paul - 2012

Fuck the FFL. If you're that worried about it, just get him to sign a bill of sale (or gift). If it were me, I'd just wrap it and put it under the tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Charliebravo View Post
    Fuck the FFL. If you're that worried about it, just get him to sign a bill of sale (or gift). If it were me, I'd just wrap it and put it under the tree.
    I think that's what I am going to do. I don't worry about me. I just don't want to do something that would get him in any trouble with whoever. Thanks for the help guys!

Iron Maiden