Thread: BUIS for a 50 BMG Rifle?

BUIS for a 50 BMG Rifle?

The Barrett M82A1 rifle comes with a rear removable BUIS and the front BUIS is integrated/recessed into the front rail.

When those are standing up, they seem to be twice as tall as traditional AR15 style BUIS.

With my new Bushmaster BA50 rifle, I'd like to have some BUIS as well in case of scope damage, etc...

I must have a good 24-30" between the rear and front rail to put the sights on gauging from the 30" barrel here...

The rail already seems elevated some what... I'm thinking AR15 BUIS probably would work... what do you think? BUIS for 100-300 yards is all I'm looking at here.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Probably any good AR15 metal made set of BUIS will work for your stated goal. I would NOT get Magpul polymer BUIS for a 50 cal rifle.

If you're taking shots with a 50 cal/buis you've either got really incredible eyes or you've missed the point of having a 50 cal.

Mat, I know the purpose of the 50 is to reach out and touch someone/thing... scopes do break, i always try to take care of my toys and store them properly, this beast is so heavy it will be sitting on the floor.

Zombies come, in the heat of the moment it gets kicked/dropped/whatever and the scope is rendered useless... it'd be nice to have some BUIS for SHTF.

If Barrett felt BUIS were important enough to have on their M82A1, then I want them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    Mat, I know the purpose of the 50 is to reach out and touch someone/thing... scopes do break, i always try to take care of my toys and store them properly, this beast is so heavy it will be sitting on the floor.

Zombies come, in the heat of the moment it gets kicked/dropped/whatever and the scope is rendered useless... it'd be nice to have some BUIS for SHTF.

If Barrett felt BUIS were important enough to have on their M82A1, then I want them too.
    Good point. Barret operators usually have friends with them too- more manueverable folks to watch your flanks and provide you with the opportunity to move if you need it. I sure wouldn't want to be anchored to a 20 lb weapon with a pair of enemies moving up on both flanks by myself.

I agree it's hard to come up with a reason to have a fifty that would make use of BUIS but if you want them any AR type BUIS should work. Considering the recoil involved metal probably isn't a bad idea although lets be real it's not that great that polymer wouldn't work if you want to cheap out for something you'll never use