Thread: How to measure Muzzle Velocity of ammo?

How to measure Muzzle Velocity of ammo?

I don't know what the name of the instrument is called, looks like two "V" shaped devices that you shoot a round through...

What are they called? How much do they cost? Where to buy?

I bought 100 rounds of the 706gr Argentina black-tipped AP ammo from ammoman.com and 400 rounds of the Brazillian 706gr FMJ ammo from AimSurplus...

Both are 706gr...

By any chance do any of you know the muzzle velocity of this ammo?

I've got a new BORS sight/computer coming... this thing needs to know the grain weight of the bullet and muzzle velocity. I know the grain is 706gr.

I'm thinking a standard 2750fps entry will work... but more accurate the better.

I emailed AimSurplus, they don't have a clue... maybe Eric at ammoman does, if not, I need to find someone with the muzzle velocity data or buy one of these instruments....

OR maybe I should quit buying surplus ammo and buy the good expensive M33Ball ammo from Barrett with known ballistics since I'm so stinking rich as Swampy and Crapshoot look for every chance to point out to the rest of you?

A chronograph is what you want

Thank you sir, that's exactly what I need....

I found one at CTD for $80 bucks....

Here's one by pact, http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...CHRONOGRAPH_XP I've always heard good things about them. I've used a cheap chrony for years (about 15) that has worked well, although I like the models with the remote read out since it's easier to read.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

i know on the old gunsnet, i also used to make a point of periodically pointing out how rich you were as well. im sorry i havent gotten around to it much lately. i dont think swampy and crapshoot are really needed for it though, your "should i buy 2 new ferraris and one new mclaren, or 2 new mclarens and 1 new ferrari" threads do that well enough

but in any event, chrony's are cheap (relatively, at around $80-$150) id reccomend you just go ahead and buy one. if your looking for the maximum accuracy out of the rifle, using the "listed data" for any cartridge aint gonna cut it. you need to know what velocity those bullets are coming out of YOUR barrel at, not some test bbl god knows where and in unknown conditions. it will also help you determine which of the cheaper surplus rounds are most consistent.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

otoh, if you want to be really fucking cheap and go for the diy method, google "ballistic pendulum" and check that out. wont be as accurate, but it will get you in the ballpark.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Mark, just to give you an idea of what's out there in the way of ballistic/shooting chronographs.

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar44.htm

http://hunting.about.com/od/chrony/M...phs_Timers.htm

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.