Thread: Gunsmoke/AKE firing pin mod Question

Gunsmoke/AKE firing pin mod Question

I remember way back when I first bought my NDM-86 reading a few posts that specifically said not to use Federal Match .308 ammo. Something about it blowing up a few rifles. Was this due to the firing pin piercing issue, or something else? I vaguely remember something about stretchy brass with the Federal as well.

I had Gunsmoke/AKE modify 2 firing pins for me, my original as well as a Russian SLFP. Is it now safe to shoot Federal match? I ask because I can get a decent amount of it for next to free and would like to take the guy up on his offer.

If any one knows if Gunsmoke is back under a different name, who is he now?

If you can get the ammo for next to free, I'd jump on it.

Had the mod done on my firing pin. It went from piercing the primer to cratering them a bit. Only one way to find out. Fire one round , then inspect the spent brass. If it looks ok, try another.

If in doubt, you could contact Bill on his web site.

So far it has been fine with all other ammo I have tried since the mod. The worst piercings for me came with the Winchester Ballistic Silver tip. They also shot right around .5in for me. Now I don't pop them. I just haven't tried Federal since then because I thought I remembered it being more than just the firing pin issue with Federal. Something about soft brass stretching or something like that. I may pick up the ammo anyway and just hold onto it. You never know when a good trade comes up.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Pull the bullet, dump the powder and fire the empty round... try several and if they don't look like they are going to puncture, have fun...

I'm not worried about the puncturing issue. It is gone. The mod that Ake/Gunsmoke did fixed that. What I am worried about is I thought there was something more to Federal Match specifically than just the pierced primers. I remember it was AKE/Gunsmoke that posted the info on it.

IJ , that does sound familiar . If I remember correctly , it was not recommended to use Federal brass for reloading in SVD's. Not 100% on that though.

Forum Administrator

I'm here........alive and kicking still.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke View Post
    I'm here........alive and kicking still.
    Cool. Any chance that since your still kicking you can give at least a short punt on what the deal was with federal ammo in the drags? I'm sitting on 250rds of federal match168grs that I am holding off on shooting until I either get a clear answer of their use in the drag, or until my 308 bolt gun is purchased. I really like my drag and don't want to blow it up ya know. a very stern warning of yours from the gunsnet of old is still stuck in my head,though just foggy enough to not remember what the full deal was. I remember seeing a pic of an ndm in real bad condition from them. Just want to be sure is all.

Forum Administrator

Soft brass primer cups but you should be just fine.....fire some rounds say ten and see what the primer cups look like. If normal and they should be now as it was tested go have some fun!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke View Post
    Soft brass primer cups but you should be just fine.....fire some rounds say ten and see what the primer cups look like. If normal and they should be now as it was tested go have some fun!!!!
    I haven't tried the original firing pin yet, but I have tried the Russian one you profiled for me. I no longer have any blown primer problems, but it does cause a bit of cratering on winchester ammo especially. I haven't shot the Federal in it yet.
    Hopefully I can run the NDM pin next weekend and see how it does.

I just picked up a NDM 86 in 308. Fired some rounds through it, and pierced a couple of primers. Looking for the mod on mine. It looks like it has the spring loaded mod already done on it.
    Sent a PM to Gunsmoke. I was wondering if it would be worth keeping a spare around, and who might have a spare?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1427 View Post
    I just picked up a NDM 86 in 308. Fired some rounds through it, and pierced a couple of primers. Looking for the mod on mine. It looks like it has the spring loaded mod already done on it.
    Sent a PM to Gunsmoke. I was wondering if it would be worth keeping a spare around, and who might have a spare?

I got lucky with my spare parts. I happened to be a at a buddies shop one day when I guy came buy and dropped off a huge crate of stuff. I ended up with the Russian firing pin, as well as a set of unfinished, rough cut wood russian hand guards.
    I have seen them pop up from time to time on Ebay and gunbroker.