Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any one know how to build a FAL?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Dogblaster View Post
    How much do FAL receivers sell for? Who sells them? I've never really looked into them but this thread has piqued my interest in trying a different type of build. I know NOTHING about FAL's other than the fact that they're .308 and I like the battle rifle look. Would I have to buy as many tools and jigs as I have for my AK builds?
    Like I've said, the FAL is easier. The two most required things are the barrel vice and the receiver wrench. Third in line would be the gauge pins to know what size locking shoulder to use. Sizes of locking shoulder range from .250" to .268". I seem to recall .256" seemed to be the typical size with an Imbel receiver, which I don't think one can find anymore, the Imbel receiver that is. The Gunthings link is the only place I know of that may still have locking shoulders, well probably DSA does as well. http://www.dsarms.com/searchprods.asp

On receivers Dan Coonan makes a type 1 receiver. His original ones were investment cast. He stopped making them and now I see he has a CNC milled receiver, which should put his on par with DSA's receivers. http://www.coonaninc.com/index.php/cPath,7 Last DSA receiver I purchased was near $400 and I was a dealer. Brownell's for http://www.brownells.com/ barrel vice and other gunsmithing tools.

Like all of this gun building really if you're going to build just one, you might as well not as you could buy it cheaper than your end cost after buying the tools to do it. In my case I was building them when kits were $130 bucks and an Imbel receiver set me back $240 bucks delivered. I built 4 for myself and did barrel install and heaspacing on a couple dozen that were then finished out by their owners. Once the barrel on and it's headspaced it's a piece of cake to build the weapon. The DIY of a cheap MbR was the nice part of FAL building. But thanks to BATFE's meddling the kits all cost over 3 bills now and don't usually come with a barrel, those have been torch cut.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 12-24-2010 at 01:42 AM.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    Yeah, I forgot about these guys. However, I'm not sure of their quality at present. Back when I was activly building there were horror stories about their receivers not being made right, off spec etc. Not sure if they have fixed those issues, one would hope they have.

ive heard they have, i cant vouch for all of the receivers they are putting out, but i can say ive personally put 2 together with no issues.

i also put one together on a xxx (i forget which reincarnation of the company it was, hesse, vulcan, or whatever other name) brand receiver that aboud with horror stories. on that one i had to take a few thou off the bbl shoulder to get it to time, and do a bit of grinding on the latch to get it to lock into the lower. the locking shoulder was also pretty tight trying to get it in. imo, even for a "problem receiver", that still wasnt a lot of work.

Moderator & Team GunsNet SILVER 11/2010 Tx Dogblaster's Avatar

Sounds like it'll be cheaper to buy a rifle outright... I don't foresee more than 1 maybe 2 max in my future so the tooling would probably be too expensive to justify. Thanks guys!

building tools are nothing compared to an ak. all i bought for mine was a used action wrench. its no where near as stout as schutez's, but i got it for iirc, $25 shipped, used. the welding rods cost nothing, although levels are dirt cheap too. i did the drill bit shank method for sizing, which i would attribute for the slight innacuracies that caused me to need to stone the back of the bolt on one build slightly. even still, the pin gauge cant cost that much.

Well maybe I'll keep my eyes open for parts and used tools. I was imagining tools like my AK hobby involves. If I was going to only build 1 Or 2 AK's then it wouldn't have been worth it but this "sounds" a bit more reasonable. Worth investigating at least.

Enterprise makes the only inch reciver that I know of right now.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Enterprise makes the only inch reciver that I know of right now.
    DSA also does

http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-L1A1-Inch-...tinfo/029L1A1/
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

OK I have another question. If I have 17 parts 7 have to be US or if I have 16 parts 6 have to be US is this correct ?

not sure exacly where your going with that question, but...

no more than 10 counted parts can be foreign.

the fal uses 17 of the 20 listed parts.

that leaves 7 parts that need to be either domestic, or left out. the only one easily left out is the muzzle device.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    not sure exacly where your going with that question, but...

no more than 10 counted parts can be foreign.

the fal uses 17 of the 20 listed parts.

that leaves 7 parts that need to be either domestic, or left out. the only one easily left out is the muzzle device.
    Thats where I was going not more than 10 parts can be foreign. ok Thanks I am just tiring to get a list of US parts that I need for the correct number of compliance parts is 7

Trigger pack = 3 parts
    Gas piston = 1
    Stock and Grip = 2
    Flash /break =1

on another note if I add the bipod to my RPK then I need to add one US part ?
    Last edited by abpt1; 12-25-2010 at 07:24 PM.

bipod is not a counted part, adding or removing it wont matter.

dont forget your receiver, that will likely be a us part. the forearm is also an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    Nice are they make an L1A1 rifle as well or just recivers? I would love to get an DSA inch FAL as their reputation is second to none.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Nice are they make an L1A1 rifle as well or just recivers? I would love to get an DSA inch FAL as their reputation is second to none.
    They were gonna at one time, but for some reason they never did.

They do offer gunsmithing services and they have a bunch of L1A1 parts. I am pretty sure you could call 'em up and see what it will cost and what options you would like, for them to build you one.

Their customer service is awesome and even when ordering a standard model, I have had them do all kinds of different options. Basically like Burger King....you can have it your way
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Cool I guess it couldn't hurt to ask. If I could find an inch parts kit I would be very tempted to do it myself. What would be really cool is if they could build me a inch one that was a Para model.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

What is the difference between metric & inch? What are the differences? Are they recognizable at a glance or is it something internal? Are any parts interchangeable?

You guys may think this is a silly question but I've heard the terms for years and have no knowledge of FAL's other than recognizing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Dogblaster View Post
    What is the difference between metric & inch? What are the differences? Are they recognizable at a glance or is it something internal? Are any parts interchangeable?

You guys may think this is a silly question but I've heard the terms for years and have no knowledge of FAL's other than recognizing them.
    I think the main reason for going metric is cheaper mags . http://www.centuryarms.com/receivers.htm

Thanks for the link Abpt1.

Another question then, looking at the receiver differences, if I was to build on an inch receiver then I would need an inch parts kit because of the folding charging handle and the different top cover correct? Or could you use a metric kit and just replace the charging handle and top cover? The questions are purely hypothetical in my mind because I'm just trying to understand what exactly I would need to look for if I decided to build one.

youll need an inch kit to build on an inch receiver. not sure if teh lower will fit, i dont think so, but the barrel wont and teh bolt/carrier wont, neither will any of the other parts that go in the receiver. (top cover, mag catch, bho, ect..)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast