Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Any one know how to build a FAL?

Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    Its been grinded ,welded ,grinded ,bent, welded,Grinded....... Its going to become a underfolder.....

The G parts are already in my RPK and I am having issues with that chambering a live round but not a blank ?
    You have a underfolder kit? From where?
    Try a different mag with the blank and live round.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    I think it was a rail alignment issue from the get go, and all of the fixes tried werent enough to compensate. instead of trying to grind them out without ruining anything, it will be much easier to get a $12 flat and start over.
    Yeah, I guess. That sounds like a build party somewhere in PA!
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    You are thinking correctly, you aren't getting enough gas pressure to cycle the weapon. I do assume you had the gas port fully closed right? Off the top of my head I found most FAL 20" weapons had to be opened up to make work. The couple of 16" guns I've done for folks we had to open them up even more than the 20" weapons. If my memory is correct on a 13" DSA shorty with the long hider silver soldered on it I had to go to .125" to get it to work. My advise is find a drill bit that fits the existing gas port hole under the front sight perfectly, then step up one drill size over that. In drilling the gas ports, put a cleaning rod or at least a wooden dowel in the bore to prevent you overshooting and contacting the rifling at the bottom of the bore under the port. Go slow, check frequently for penetration to the bore.

Going again on memory, I believe I was opening up a 20" barrel gas port to about .115", 16" barrels to .118 to .120 and anything shorter to .125". Start with the least difference in size, in other words open up the gas port as little as possible and then verify function. If it still doesn't cycle well, try one more step up in size and again test fire to verify function. Good luck with it.

I will follow your advice and open it up in as small increments as possible.
    Thank you, I appreciate it.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

The G the parts are already in my RPK and I am having issues with that chambering a live round but not a blank ?
    do you mean FEEDING, or actually CHAMBERING ? if the bolt wont close on the live round its probably a headspace issue.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    do you mean FEEDING, or actually CHAMBERING ? if the bolt wont close on the live round its probably a headspace issue.

I think I got a little too much grill pain in there .......going to polish it a bit and try again .....if I am using a different bolt that should not matter right? the head space is the trunnion and the barrel correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moebrown20 View Post
    Yeah, I guess. That sounds like a build party somewhere in PA!

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

I think I got a little too much grill pain in there .......going to polish it a bit and try again .....if I am using a different bolt that should not matter right? the head space is the trunnion and the barrel correct ?
    yes, the bolt is a part of the headspace. the carrier isint, but the bolt is.

If anyone in the Pac-North-west wants to do an FAL build, I have the tools. Instead of a level or rod to time the barrel to the receiver, I use a laser.
    If I weren't supposed to shoot guns, why did God give me trigger fingers?

There's a point in your life when you get tired of trying to fix everything and trying to make everyone happy. When you finally decide to quit, it's NOT giving up. It's realizing you don't need certain people and the bullshit they bring to your life.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by 63DH8 View Post
    If anyone in the Pac-North-west wants to do an FAL build, I have the tools. Instead of a level or rod to time the barrel to the receiver, I use a laser.
    Hi, 63DH8
    I feel a little wierd asking you this six months after your post, but I need a little help barreling my Argy Kit.
    I tried a wood block for my reciever, but frankly the torque is way to much for the wood to handle, plus I don't want to damage anything doing something stupid. Let me know if the obove offer is still valid.
    I would really appreciate a little advice, and the correct blocks and wrenches.
    Thanks!

I have had an inch kit for a bunch of years. Have one together that a friend had built and I bought. Shoots great, never got around to buying a receiver and now they are like $500....liveable I guess all things considered and the current state of the union. I snoozed and I loosed.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    2nd Amedment Foundation Member
    NRA-ILA
    National Association for Gun Rights
    CRAL member---RIFOL member and supporter
    GOA member
    RI 2nd Amendment Coalition Supporter

Be glad you have the kit, I can't find one at all. At least not inch. I saw a couple of metric ones at the gun show this morning though. First of those I have seen in quite some time though.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567