Thread: Wow, makes me think twice about owning a Draco,

Wow, makes me think twice about owning a Draco,

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

It looks like an out of battery to me.

My Draco seems to be about the same thing as my SAR-1. I don't think they're just "made with weak metal" and sometimes they blow up.

out of battery discharge more than likely a dirty firing pin or some one had a bad idea and it went south ......

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Says out of battery discharge to me as well. I'd find the reason, then take a large mallet and beat the frame back. Probably work fine again. Notice the rivets held in the trunion.

Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    out of battery discharge more than likely a dirty firing pin or some one had a bad idea and it went south ......
    Mine came with all kinds of crud in the fire control group and coming out from between the receiver and rails. It was rust colored cosmoline type stuff. Your dirty firing pin channel sounds like a good culprit.

Draco

My draco had a new bolt in it when i got it. The bolt carrier was rusty and CAI said send it back and gave me a RMA but i cleaned it up myself and took it too the range today and got all headshots at 25 yds which is no big deal. might have been a very hot round or out of battery bolt. someone out there knows for sure what did that. any weapon can blow up. bad ammo, cheap metal. soft metal etc.......I've got 5 ak's and no problems with them. i've got 18 91/30's also.. good luck so far. knock wood.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I have a WASR coming - going to clean that bolt good...

ETA: watched the vid. I was going to say out of battery discharge as well, but the lugs being swaged on the back and the trunion.... I don't get how that could have happened if the lugs were engaged in the trunion recess - unless it was just open a smidge...

That's what must have happened - the round was popped before the bolt was 100% seated which left just enough space for the case to explode through and slam the bolt back and blow out left and right... wow.
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 03-31-2011 at 10:05 AM.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Could a squib on the previous round have caused that?
    Last edited by macadore; 04-14-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by macadore View Post
    Could a squib on the previous round have caused that?
    I'm not sure, but I wouldn't let it discourage me from a Draco. They're just like any Romanian AKM clone.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    He shows the bolt, with a wear pattern that looks like it was a head space issue, where the bolt wasn't fully engaging into the trunion. After enough rounds, the final one went off with the bolt not locked into the trunion on the left side, but up against the barrel, and seeing the broken trunion lug on the right side, I would guess that the right lug was partly engaged.

When the final round went off, with no resistance on the left side, the bolt pushed back and right, breaking the right trunion lug and bowing out the receiver on that side.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I'm still going to get one to SBR.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by 4444magnum View Post
    My draco had a new bolt in it when i got it. The bolt carrier was rusty and CAI said send it back and gave me a RMA but i cleaned it up myself and took it too the range today and got all headshots at 25 yds which is no big deal. might have been a very hot round or out of battery bolt. someone out there knows for sure what did that. any weapon can blow up. bad ammo, cheap metal. soft metal etc.......I've got 5 ak's and no problems with them. i've got 18 91/30's also.. good luck so far. knock wood.

All headshots? No shit? With I-ron sights?
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I'm not sure, but I wouldn't let it discourage me from a Draco. They're just like any Romanian AKM clone.
    I agree. I own one and have no intention of getting rid of it. A squib would be an ammunition problem that could occur in any firearm. It just seemed like a likely explination to me.