Thread: Addition to the collection - M1 carbine

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Addition to the collection - M1 carbine

I picked up only a couple of M1 carbines during the blackout. Both are IBM's.

A few months ago I became acquainted with a gentleman who's father worked for IBM during the WWII period and actually worked on the design team for the modified stamped/brazed trigger housing for the M1 carbine that was first implemented by IBM on their production M1 carbines. This fellow is not a gun guy, but when I discovered this little tidbit of information about his father I told the gentleman that I owned a IBM manufactured M1 carbine and would be glad to show it to him some time.

Later, I invited him to my home and showed him my humble M1 carbine collection. He was especially interested in seeing my IBM. I disassembled the IBM to show him the trigger housing, and also disassembled a Winchester made carbine with a milled trigger housing to compare the IBM. We spent over an hour looking over the two trigger housings and it was obvious that the stamped/brazed trigger housing would be much simpler and faster to manufacture than the milled one, yet it was just as serviceable. He found it fascinating that he was looking at an important component that his father had a big part in developing during the expediency of wartime.

At the end of the visit he asked if it was possible to find a IBM carbine for sale as he would love to have one. I advised him to find a nice one wouldn't be cheap, he said he understood. I told him I would see what I could do . . . and the hunt was on.

After a month I'd ended up with two IBM carbines. One I purchased through GunBroker.com and the other from another carbine collector of my acquaintance. Both were all IBM and in very nice condition. One had post war features (adjustable rear sight, flip safety, bayonet lug) while the other had early features (flip rear sight, push safety, no bayonet lug), and both were collector grade carbines. I took the two carbines to the gentleman and after explaining to him the differences between the two, I let him pick the one he wanted and he chose the late featured carbine and I sold it to him for what I paid for it. He already had a very nice glass case made for the carbine to hang it on the wall next to a picture of his father.

I added the other IBM to my collection.

- USGI M1 carbine made by IBM with IBM developed trigger housing -

Last edited by Faulkner; 07-27-2010 at 05:45 PM.
    - Change it back -