Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which States still have gun shows where there is no background check needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which States still have gun shows where there is no background check needed

Hopefully I'm in the right forum. Most states used to not require background checks like Pennsylvannia etc. Which ones still don't? Thanks

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndamendment View Post
    Hopefully I'm in the right forum. Most states used to not require background checks like Pennsylvannia etc. Which ones still don't? Thanks
    actually if you're buying from an FFL dealer (which is the license you need to have a gunshop) you have to do a background check just like you're buying in a shop. The only instance where you don't need to do a background check is if you are buying from a private seller (somone who is selling his personal firearms). PA also requires that you have a dealer do a background check if you are buying a handgun from a private seller.

I was referring more to gun shows. Is there any states that have gun shows where you dont need a background check?( maybe down south for example) Also you mention you dont need a background check if you're buying from a private seller, though PA requires it for handguns. Is there any state that you can buy a handgun from a private seller w/o a background check. Thanks

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Well, I can tell you Oregon, California and Washington requires a background check when purchasing a firearm from an FFL vendor at gun shows. So only 47 other possibilities. Narrowing the field, eh?
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I was referring more to gun shows. Is there any states that have gun shows where you dont need a background check?( maybe down south for example) Also you mention you dont need a background check if you're buying from a private seller, though PA requires it for handguns. Is there any state that you can buy a handgun from a private seller w/o a background check. Thanks

I was referring to gunshows as well, the vast majority of firearms sold at gunshows are by FFL holders who are set up at the show. There is no such thing as the "gunshow loop hole". Any firearms sold privately at gunshows without background checks would be legally the same if they were sold through a classified ad or at a garage sale.

In this state, the way it works I and, I am pretty sure this is nation wide is if you buy from a dealer at a gun show that has an FFL, they have to run a background check. I belive that is a federal law. So chances are you are not going to find a totaly back ground check free gun show, at least not in this country. I think it is pretty well set in stone buy from some one with an FFL go though the paper work and background check.

Now here if you buy from a private seller, usally some one who just has the odd gun slung over thier shoulder to sell, they don't have to do the whole back ground check thing. Here though most the people you see at the gun show are FFL dealers. Like I said though you will find the people wandering around selling stuff. Ever now and then you will also find some one who has a table and is selling a gun or two or in some cases thier colection.

In some states this is not the case and they have to do back ground check on all gun sales at a gun show. Private sale and dealer sales.

I hope this helps explain it a bit.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

This guy smells like a troll.

But, to your answer- even at gun shows, if you buy from an FFL holder, he is required to run a background check. That is Federal law. Even "down south". In many states, as already stated, if you buy a handgun from a private seller, you are still required to go through an FFL dealer for the background check.

The only instances, in general, where you don't is if you are a resident of a state buying privately from another resident of that same state.
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Simple answer is NO. AS alll gun shows are populated by licensed FFL dealers they are required by Federal Law to run a background check on any firearms purchase by a civilian. The only exceptions to that is if the buyer has a Concealed Carry Firearms permit. North Carolina and Georgia dealers will take your CCW license and record the number on it and the expiration date along with your Drivers License info. You can then walk with the firearm purchased after the paper work is completed and you pay the man. Otherwise it's NICS check for the buyer.

Come on down to Virginia if you're looking to shoot some grainy hidden camera footage of the mythical "gun show loophole". But first, here's something you should read on the subject of "illegal conveyance", according to the General Assembly. Happy shopping.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...071+sum+HB2653

And tell King Mike that he can kiss my freedom-loving arse.
    “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” — Edmund Burke

As the others stated there is no loophole so if your either a felon or a leftist spy if you sell your private property at a gun show its best to record the buyers dl number as about 40% OF FELONS DONT HAVE A LICENSE also youll know what state there from so you wont be selling to someone from a state that cant own that perticular gun do to magazine restrictions . selling a private firearm at a gun show is like selling to a friend legal wise but use ure best judgement just like you wouldnt sell to the guy who is allways getting into trouble at work you might want to take a good look at the private buyer. there is a number you can call to do instant background tests on your cell phone. itll cost 3 dollars per call. Ill pm it to you.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I was referring more to gun shows. Is there any states that have gun shows where you don't need a background check?( maybe down south for example) Also you mention you don't need a background check if you're buying from a private seller, though PA requires it for handguns. Is there any state that you can buy a handgun from a private seller w/o a background check. Thanks
    Since the 1990s ALL states have a background check at gunshows when buying from a licensed dealer. It is Federal law nation wide. Most states allow a sale from one non-dealer to another, private party sales, to happen without going through a FFL dealer for a background check.

To buy wholesale you have to be a FFL dealer. To be a FFL dealer, by Federal law you have to do a background check on every firearm transaction. Even interstate private party transfers have to go through an FFL for a background check when shipped interstate.

EDIT: Damn I didn't realize it was this old a thread...
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 01-15-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Hm, there's some very different posts here. The shows in Somerset here in KY I went to a few years ago had a lot of private sellers with no paperwork in sight. Most tables have to do paperwork now tho as a lot more sellers are FFLs.
    Last edited by Solidus-snake; 01-15-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

The "gun show loophole" is a referrence to the private sellers - yes. But this is entirely legal and not limited to gun shows at all. Any two people can exchange a firearm within a state. That is, if they are both residents - and that's entirely legal. Still is in most states.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

I can sell guns from my personal collection on my front lawn all day long.
    I can also do this at local gun shows. Buy a table, set it up and sell, sell, sell.
    No FFL, no nothing.

I haven't done it, but know others who do.
    Many States cannot regulate this activity except through new manufacturers.
    Personal collections, it's open range.
    I have bought a 1903 Springfield, and M1 Garand, at Gun Show, no paper of any kind.

Loophole?
    Enough to dock the USS Oklahoma at least.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

why what state do you live in ?

Odd question.
    "Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...
    Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number,
    its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Iron Maiden

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

If you could find this forum and you can add and subtract you can find this answer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_sho..._United_States
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

It sounds as if the leftish trash has brain washed you into believing their propaganda.
    After they shoved all their unconstitutional bullshit laws through, you are required to go through a background check before you can buy from an FFL holder. The Gun shows are just events that are put on primarily by licensed firearm dealers (FFL holders). There may be a few private individuals that are selling off their private collections there as well. In most states it is still legal to sell your private property without intervention from the Gestapo. However the laws very from state to state. In AZ an individual can sell to another AZ resident. but not to anyone from another state.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Hmmmm.
    :

Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

i live in PA abpt1. Thanks penquin and blacksmith for the reply. Here in PA there was no background checks needed in the early 2000's at gun shows but there are now. anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast