I was watching "I almost got away with it" last night on TV...

Story about the Texas Militia Members.... Richard Keyes III thought one of the members betrayed them, so they took him hostage in his own home. Cops surrounded the place, long story short Richard Keyes III and Mike Matson fled out back into the Texas Hills.

Matson being 48 and older, couldn't keep up with Keyes, he chose to stand his ground, shot a police dog and the dog handler officer shot Matson. Keyes being 21 and younger, had previously left Matson when he refused to go on.

Keyes called the TX Milita headquarters for help, they picked him up in a park and took him to Arizona to a safe house.... Keyes (as portrayed in the reinactment on TV) is some kind of nut-whacko, and the guy he was staying with didn't want him around. So they moved him to another safehouse and not to long after they didn't want him either so they took him to a motel.

Feds were closing in on him at the motel just when another militia member was to pick him up and take to another safehouse. Feds tail them as Keyes gets in the car. Driver thought he was a nut too and kicked out to the curb... literally, and drove off. That's when the Feds arrested him.

He got caught because he called a Colorado newspaper and threatened to kill the police dog handler who shot Matson... if he'd have kept quiet, ALL the cops/Feds had stopped looking for him already and closed the case believing he had died in the TX wilderness months ago. But he survived by using a map and locating buried caches of food and water that were placed there previously by the TX Militia.

In real life on TV, Keyes now in his late 30's looks like a little nerd... looks psycho to me.

]http://tech.mit.edu/V117/N24/atexas.24w.html

Anybody remember this story? I was still living in Michigan May 1997, but I don't remember this being on national news... do you?