Thread: May 1997 - Richard Keyes III - Texas Militia

May 1997 - Richard Keyes III - Texas Militia

I was watching "I almost got away with it" last night on TV...

Story about the Texas Militia Members.... Richard Keyes III thought one of the members betrayed them, so they took him hostage in his own home. Cops surrounded the place, long story short Richard Keyes III and Mike Matson fled out back into the Texas Hills.

Matson being 48 and older, couldn't keep up with Keyes, he chose to stand his ground, shot a police dog and the dog handler officer shot Matson. Keyes being 21 and younger, had previously left Matson when he refused to go on.

Keyes called the TX Milita headquarters for help, they picked him up in a park and took him to Arizona to a safe house.... Keyes (as portrayed in the reinactment on TV) is some kind of nut-whacko, and the guy he was staying with didn't want him around. So they moved him to another safehouse and not to long after they didn't want him either so they took him to a motel.

Feds were closing in on him at the motel just when another militia member was to pick him up and take to another safehouse. Feds tail them as Keyes gets in the car. Driver thought he was a nut too and kicked out to the curb... literally, and drove off. That's when the Feds arrested him.

He got caught because he called a Colorado newspaper and threatened to kill the police dog handler who shot Matson... if he'd have kept quiet, ALL the cops/Feds had stopped looking for him already and closed the case believing he had died in the TX wilderness months ago. But he survived by using a map and locating buried caches of food and water that were placed there previously by the TX Militia.

In real life on TV, Keyes now in his late 30's looks like a little nerd... looks psycho to me.

]http://tech.mit.edu/V117/N24/atexas.24w.html

Anybody remember this story? I was still living in Michigan May 1997, but I don't remember this being on national news... do you?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nope don't remember him or the incident. However, the story does seem to illustrate that burried caches of supplies do work.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Don't remember him at all or the rest of the event...

This is the first that I recall hearing of it.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Moderator & Team GunsNet SILVER 11/2010 Tx Dogblaster's Avatar

Keyes called the TX Milita headquarters for help, they picked him up in a park and took him to Arizona to a safe house.... Keyes (as portrayed in the reinactment on TV) is some kind of nut-whacko, and the guy he was staying with didn't want him around. So they moved him to another safehouse and not to long after they didn't want him either so they took him to a motel.
    Actually, he had called HQ in Houston requesting that back up be sent and was told there was nobody they could send. He put out a call to other members asking for help then called Houston again. Houston leadership reached out to the New Mexico malitia that was sent to pick him up and they took him to Albuqurque(sp?) where he stayed for a couple weeks then he headed to Houston and stayed in a motel. The leadership in Houston didn't want him around because of the attention he would draw so they set up to have him
    moved at the same time the law had been tipped off to where he was staying.

I remember this happening and watched it on the news. The range that I go to quite a bit
    in Houston was the Republic of Texas HQ for a long time. It's where they had their
    meetings etc. The news people spent a lot of time at that range trying to vilify all of us
    (gun people) to the public. As far as I know, nobody from Houston was arrested. The range is still open and owned by the same family.
    Last edited by Tx Dogblaster; 01-30-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Sounds like when push came to shove his fellow members thought he was a nut and didn't really fit in with their group. Maybe in hindsight they should of determined he wasn't worth the trouble beforehand?
    Last edited by mriddick; 01-30-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Moderator & Team GunsNet SILVER 11/2010 Tx Dogblaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Sounds like when push came t shove his fellow members thought he was a nut and didn't really fit in with their group. Maybe in hindsight they should of determined he wasn't worth the trouble beforehand?
    Bingo!

Those kind are different.

Louis Beam (born 1946) is a Texan white nationalist. After high-school he served as a helicopter door-gunner in Vietnam. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. Back in the U.S. he became a Klansman, leading a maritime Louisiana KKK element against government help to Vietnamese immigrant fishermen.[4] He became active with Aryan Nations in the early 1980s. He is considered to be the first important proponent of the strategy of leaderless resistance. In recent years, Beam has maintained a significantly lower profile.

According to ADL/LEARN, he has been fighting against a government he views as "tyrannical and controlled by Jewish conspirators" for more than thirty years. He first became engaged on the far right as a paramilitary Klansman, later with ties to Christian Identity groups. In both roles he was one of the most influential figures on the far right. He cites Thomas Jefferson in resistance to tyranny. Beam refused Aryan Nation's head Richard Girnt Butler offer of leadership of the religious group in 1988 and chose to continue to work alone. During the past ten years he has limited his activity to his web site. His essay Leaderless Resistance has been translated into seven languages.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Beam
    I "knew" Louis "Jim" Beam when he was a helicopter door gunner. I didn't know him all that well; but well enough to know there was "something else" under his skin.