Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK-47 Ejection Issues

AK-47 Ejection Issues

Hi,
    I hope I'm posting in the correct forum.
    I have an ongoing issue with a spent casings ejecting, with subsequent jams. I've tried different ammo with same results. I can manually cycle a magazine rapidly with no issues. Ejector problem? Or is the Bolt-Carrier not fully travelling back?
    Thanks for any advice.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Is it a GPWASR10?

Sounds like a gas issue.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I have a romanian sar1 that did that.
    I put a new recoil spring in mine and that worked at fixing my issue.

AK Make/Model

Thanks for the replies. Mine is a Century Intl. Arms GP1975.
    If it is a gas issue, piston and/or spring?
    Where to get parts?
    Thanks

I got my recoil spring at APEX.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

When you hand cycle the bolt, is it super rough or does it feel smooth? Sometimes there is some cant in the gas block which can cause the piston to rub the gas tube.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

AK Issues Cont'd

How smooth is smooth? When I hand cycle the bolt it stops about 1 3/4" open when the bolt carrier engages the top of the hammer. I then continue to full open, then return to close as it then stops at "hold open" position? Until push it forward to closed.
    Maybe I just can't see it, but it looks like the Sear doesn't engage the rear of hammer unless I partially squeeze the trigger.
    Thanks for all the help so far.
    Last edited by fwgunner; 07-22-2011 at 02:32 PM.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    There is no bolt hold open on a Kalashnikov rifle. What happens is that the carrier drags enough on the hammer to cause it to seem like a bolt hold open, when in reality it is just excess friction.

That could be the cause of your problem, that the shape of the hammer is causing it to put too much pressure on the passing carrier. Sometimes this will go away as the rifle wears in, but I have had a couple that I worked on where I removed a little from the hammer and polished everything to allow for less drag on the carrier from the hammer.

Thanks imanaknut,
    Being pretty new still to this rifle, should the bolt carrier not hang-up at all when drawing it back? It obviously slams forward when released, yet I'm still wondering if that slight hang-up is enough to impede shell eject and reload.
    Thanks again.

Can you be more specific about the nature of your jams?

It's ok to hang up some on the hammer as long as its not ridiculous. I've got two that hung up. One stopped after I replaced the FCG (trigger) with a Tapco unit and it stopped hanging up. Another I did the same and it continues to hang. Both are super reliable regardless of the hang up.
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 07-22-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

The jams typically occur from (I think), a spent shell not ejecting and hanging-up as the bolt attempts to close.
    Thanks.

I talked to the Manufacturer and they seem to think that there's too much drag on the Hammer/Bolt Carrier. They suggest reducing that clearance. When I watch the Bolt Carrier as I manually draw it back, the Hammer seems to sit too high all the time. What is the Sear Catch's purpose? It will not engage the Hammer unless I hold the trigger fully engaged as I draw the Bolt Carrier back.
    Thanks.

The "sear catch" is called a disconnector. It holds hammer back while the bolt carrier pushes forward and loads and locks. If it weren't for this part, the hammer would follow the carrier forward after firing a shot. If you remove this part in an attempt to simulate full auto fire, it becomes likely that you will have an out of battery discharge resulting in a blown up gun. In other words, the disconnector prevents the cartridge from being fired before it is locked into the chamber by the bolt.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I understand what you're saying, however when I watch the bolt carrier cycle, the only part that engages the hammer is the trigger catch. I never see the sear/disconnector engage the hammer at all.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    There is no bolt hold open on a Kalashnikov rifle. What happens is that the carrier drags enough on the hammer to cause it to seem like a bolt hold open, when in reality it is just excess friction.

That could be the cause of your problem, that the shape of the hammer is causing it to put too much pressure on the passing carrier. Sometimes this will go away as the rifle wears in, but I have had a couple that I worked on where I removed a little from the hammer and polished everything to allow for less drag on the carrier from the hammer.

Same story here.
    видеодон

Problem continues

I still have issues with jams,etc. I've polished the hammer and bolt carrier. I notice that the hammer sits very high unless I depress it and use trigger to engage the sear catch. Other than when the carrier travels back to reset the hammer, should it touch the hammer again? I thought the carrier should travel back/forth without much friction?

Update: I polished the heck out of the bolt carrier bottom and hammer (chin?), for a much smoother operation. I tested it with an old steel mag, and had two shells not eject, 2-misfires, probably ammo/mag? Put in a new Tapco mag and fired all rounds without an issue.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    While it is rare a steel military mag causes an issue, I have had a couple I purchased that required a lot of work to get them feeding smoothly, but for what I paid for the non-functional mags, it was a labor of love.

Glad to hear you found a mag that works. It totally slipped my mind that the mag itself could be contacting the bolt as it travels, slowing it down just enough to cause issues.

WASR versions of all color can be more of a problem than your pre-infringement AK variant as it all depends on how well the mag well was opened, and it seems that there are more mag release issues, where mags are held either too high or not high enough and the bolt travels over the round without picking it up.

Regardless, glad to read you found a mag that along with all the work you have done, you now have a reliable rifle!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast