Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great buy on AMD-65

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.

Thumbs up Great buy on AMD-65

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AKAGUN-AMD-2.aspx

FEG receiver, chrome lined barrel. Light weight fun at a very good sale price!!!

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post

FEG receiver, chrome lined barrel. Light weight fun at a very good sale price!!!
    It even gets better, buy the rifle and they will sell you a drum for $25...

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Missed that drum deal! Thanks!!!!

CFS is a great company, I bought my CZ58's through them along with 3 of the 4 mag packs, one pack had a damaged mag and with just with calling they sent me a new mag, that was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post

Is it assembled by FEG or built on a FEG receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    Is it assembled by FEG or built on a FEG receiver?
    There is quite a debate about that, IMO they come in as single stacks and are converted here. Both of mine show signs the mag well was opened up with the trunnion riveted in, I can't see a reason for doing that on a completed weapon if it could be done on a shell first.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Thanks for the info. I just went and browsed around and ordered 3 20-rnd. AK mags and pouch. They've been real hard to find around here.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Just ordered another set of 3 20-rnd. mags. I have an idea hi-cap mags are going to start getting a little scarce. MD has a 20 rnd. limit on mags, I'd better stock up while I can. I haven't seen ANY AK mags in any MD gun stores. I have to go out of state to find those. I hope Centerfire keeps a few of these sets on hand. I'm hoping people from other states will concentrate on the 30 and 40 rnd mags and leave the 20 rounders for last. If I were able to do so, I'd be ordering as many 30-40 round mags as I could afford. 20's will have to do for now.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    There is quite a debate about that, IMO they come in as single stacks and are converted here. Both of mine show signs the mag well was opened up with the trunnion riveted in, I can't see a reason for doing that on a completed weapon if it could be done on a shell first.
    The FEG assembled ones don't show signs of being opened up. FWIW, a shop owner said there are FEG assembled, FEG receiver and assembled else where, and builds with other receivers. It is a good size shop which sells a lot of firearms; but then again does he really know? One point in his favor is the mag wells were stamped and not opened opened up.

I think you have to clarify of what era we are talking about, since 2006 there are no double stack recievers coming in, since then (in the case of the WASR before) the Romanians and Bulgarians have brought in single stack AKM's and converted them to double. I don't think it would be a reach to think the Hungarians would do likewise. As I've said I can verify both of my recent imported AMD's show signs of being converted once built up (or at the very least after the front trunnion was installed).

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I would opine they are probably single stack receivers that have been opened up thanks to BATFE not letting any double stack receivers in for years and years now. I seem to remember early 2005 as the last ones that got in.

To the topic of this AMD65 offering, it looks good from the photo on their web site and is IMO a good deal if even close to well built.

Yeah I cn care less if they are opened up from single stacks, I'm very happy with the one I have and the one I bought my son. These are a great buys considering the FEG reciever and chromed bores.

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

WOW! Might have to spend a little tax money... LOL
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I think you have to clarify of what era we are talking about, since 2006 there are no double stack recievers coming in, since then (in the case of the WASR before) the Romanians and Bulgarians have brought in single stack AKM's and converted them to double. I don't think it would be a reach to think the Hungarians would do likewise. As I've said I can verify both of my recent imported AMD's show signs of being converted once built up (or at the very least after the front trunnion was installed).
    True and I agree. However, a sheet metal punch die leaves a different surface finish than a Dremel or a mill. A punch die is tapered so it can extract from the work piece easily. I understand about 2006 and I know the difference between the sheet metal process and machining processes.

I did some research and found this:

Re: Hungarian AMD-65 and AMD-63 at AIM
    « Reply #32 on: February 11, 2009, 12:07:54 PM »

The main FEG co. in HUNG. closed down about 2 yrs. ago, but they still have a small place which sells Feg parts and does put some guns together for export!

Same thing with the Czech VZ-58 rifle, After the Czech Rep. split up and they started selling the rifle, D-tecniks which is in the now Czech rep. is one co. the other one, forgot the name , is located in what now is slovakia, stamped its rec. with made in Slovakia and most people only wanted the ones from D-Tecnik since it is stamped, made in the Czech rep. and therefore is the real thing!
    Hope this clears up a few things, so all those purists who have a VZ-58 D-tec. rifle or a FEG AMD 65, do have a all commie gun, except for the F/C 3 parts.
    The post was in 2/2009 and minus two years would be 2/2007; so we are close to 2006, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I would opine they are probably single stack receivers that have been opened up thanks to BATFE not letting any double stack receivers in for years and years now. I seem to remember early 2005 as the last ones that got in.
    That was my opinion also. What started this was I asked the clerk why one AMD was 450 and the others were a lot less. He did what any salesman would do; he showed me the differences especially the made in Hungary.

I did what anyone else would do; I looked at the mag well.

There is also a "review" at arf: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=77&t=119608

"If these mag wells were opened up by TGI, they did a very precise job." All I can say is he got the same impression as I did.

I know the difference between what is stamped and what was ground. Sheet metal punches leave "scratches" parallel to the sides of the mag well. Dremel "scratches" would be perpendicular to it.

To the topic of this AMD65 offering, it looks good from the photo on their web site and is IMO a good deal if even close to well built.
    Ditto and as there appear to be Hungarian built and Century built on the shelves I'd opine the well built could vary greatly by the who built.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Never personally cared for the appearence of the AMD variants. They look a little too Buck Rogers for my taste but I guess they can be good shooters in the Kalashnikov family tradition.

DeadPool
    Can you remove that shitty wire folder and add a real stock? If so, I may have to pick one up.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeadPool View Post
    Can you remove that shitty wire folder and add a real stock? If so, I may have to pick one up.
    You would have to rivit in a new trunion.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    You would have to rivit in a new trunion.
    Not only that but you'd have a hole in the bottom of the receiver where the stock release button comes through. The AMD65 is not the best folder but it does have a "look" and they are compact.

Not only a hole in the bottom but a slot in the side to cover up... I've seen one guy take a FAL/Galil type folder and weld it to a cut off stub of a AMD folder, I take it he had to make a adapter block but it looked very good and improved the AMD folder quite abit.

The AMD65 is not the best folder but it does have a "look" and they are compact.
    Blackwater and others use them. Probably because they are very controllable. Supposedly they do two mods a buffer to "tune" FA and bend the wire stock so it fold with a drum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast