Thread: M-1 WINCHESTER CARBINE/BLUE SKY ARLINGTON

M-1 WINCHESTER CARBINE/BLUE SKY ARLINGTON

Hoping for a little help. I am purchasing a Winchester M-1. I found out that on the left side of the barrel says "BLUE SKY, ARLINGTON VA." Was checking around on other forums and the last I saw was from 2003. This rifle has a M-2 bolt in it. Over all the gun is in good condition, however I read that when Blue Sky imported them and put their markings on the barrel it may have messed up the accuracy of the rifle. Anybody have any more info.? Does the Blue Sky on the barrel really effect the value of the gun? by how much? Any thoughts on what The value of the gun may be? he wants $500 for it. Thanks Jim

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

There is no way they could have messed up the bore with import stampings so rest easy on that one.

Listing on gun broker http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=200245370
    Last edited by aliceinchains; 02-14-2011 at 08:51 PM.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 gewehr44's Avatar

I've read that as well, but don't know if there's any truth to it. One thing you may want to look at before your purchase the carbine is to take off the stock & handguard to see the condition of the metal below the wood line. My first carbine was an import from Korea & there was some pretty decent pitting that had been parkerized over during an overhaul. Didn't affect the performance of the carbine but a downgrade on condition.

The price is not bad, depending on condition & number of original parts, if any. Import marked rifles have less value than non-marked by perhaps $100.
    Last edited by gewehr44; 02-15-2011 at 04:10 AM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

As with most things one reads on the internet there is a Kernal of truth to the story. Blue Sky was a division of Navy Arms. I actually got to go into their shut down factory with all the equipment still in place about 1998.

The stamp was reported to bend the barrel it was struck so hard. That said, I've never seen a Blue SKy import that was struck so deep as to cave in the barrel slightly. You would have to be the judge of that as you will be looking at the M1 Carbine in person.

As far as a Winchester receiver for 5 bills, that's low in the Carbine word. Should be a good value if the bore isn't shot out. Even if it is, the value is low enough you could have a replacement barrel put on and be about a wash to typical market value for a Winny.

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. Picking up 2 M-1s (WINCHESTER AND AN INLAND)and a International Harvester Garand tonight.