Thread: Shortage Of Food

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Shortage Of Food

Seems to all be over the country right now.

http://www.thereadystore.com/food-st...ent=click_here

Where is the food?

If you have tried to buy food storage from us or from any of our competitors over the last four months you are not alone. The truth is that demand is through the roof right now and it doesn’t show any signs of letting up. In addition to demand being so high, the supply chain is not keeping up with it. Many have experienced very long ship times.

Many freeze-dried and dehydrated suppliers are just not equipped to pump out the huge amounts of food that are in demand right now. Mountain House has cut off all their smaller distributors in order to cater to just a few large distributors like us. Food is becoming harder and harder to come by so prices could be on their way up. Demand is not the only reason however, some speculate that inflation is on our door-step because of many of the policies of our government.

So what should you do? Here are a few ideas that could help.

1. Buy food storage.
    “What?” You’re saying, “But you just said that I might expect long ship times”. That’s true, however if you want to get your family prepared you might want to get in line now as the demand does not seem to be dieing down. The sooner you buy, the sooner you can put your foot in the door.

2. Start preparing a garden.
    A garden is a great way to supplement your food and lower your grocery bills. Spring is just around the corner so you may want to get your seedlings started now so that when you are ready to plant, so you can yield more out of your garden this year. Time the seedlings with your local frost date so you can hit the ground running.

3. Stock up on other essential items
    Make sure you have all the sanitary, cleaning, clothing, water and other supplies you might need. We carry a great selection of these items that can help you stay on track to getting prepared while you wait for your food storage to fill your shelves.

We are working hard to get you the food you need as fast as possible and we appreciate your patience. We are rapidly diversifying our supply chain to prevent any bottlenecks in the future. Our goal is to bring you the highest quality food and emergency supplies anywhere, at prices that make sense.

Thank you for helping us get America prepared
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Interesting phenomina.

This is much like the growing awareness of our governmental problems by people and the birth and growth of the tea party.

Even though the mainstream and other mass media outlets aren't really covering the SHTF possibilities, I believe (I say this because I don't have facts at hand... just my own experiences) that people are "talking" more and more about this and what to do about it. And this is happening on all kinds of boards, social media sites, etc. - not just the traditional survival type boards, etc.

I think this is really great myself. Encouraging that more people are paying attention.

The very best scenario should we be presented with a SHTF situation is that everyone be prepared. Everyone. This would remove the #1 cause of violence - people panicing and stealing from others.

What we're seeing with the shortage of freeze dried and other types of "backup" foods is an industry that was geared for a very steady and low level of demand. For backpacking, camping, military, etc.. They are capitalized for this demand and you are not going to see an imediate adjustment to ramp-up production which requires investment because there's nothing that shows that this will be a long-term demand - or not enough to justify installing a new $500,000 line to freeze dry eggs for example.

This is not a reason for panic or anything - it just means that you buy and store or buy and process and store "normal" food stuffs instead of freeze dried "chicken teriyoki".

It does make me think that perhaps I should add to my stores though... this is just an emotional response of course - to the knowledge that more and more people are prepping... kind of like when people start buying up ammo - makes you want to go out and get a few more boxes or another case to add to the stores that you already have...

Good post - thanks for sharing that!
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

We have article going on here in central PA on this. Interesting reading and the comments.
    http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...tml#incart_mce
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Thanks - yes, interesting. I've seen the patern over and over. Something like that report or article is posted and the comments are split between people that completely dismiss any possibility of disaster and deride those who prep and those who have been following world events and studying up on what could happen - and prepparing.

I think the result is that more and more people are "converting" to preppers as time goes by and more events that are disturbing unfold.

I am one that thinks that common sense prepps are smart.

I'm personally not doing or storing anything that isn't useful in "normal" times and for normal, temporary disasters and such.

All of those nay-sayers own insurance policies... but it's much easier to insult and challenge than to look into things yourself.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

On a slightly off topic, but I heard, on radio, a few days ago that hte US is losing its ability to feed the rest of the world. By 2025, we will only produce enough food to feed ourselves; none for export. This is really going throw much of the world into turmoil. A whole lot of 3rd world countries are going to fold. Food riots, food wars, etc. will be the norm.

Maybe this is just the beginning of the food shortages we're seeing in certain areas now. Even if these food prep places add more processing machines, the food they are getting will begin to dry up.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    The very best scenario should we be presented with a SHTF situation is that everyone be prepared. Everyone. This would remove the #1 cause of violence - people panicing and stealing from others.
    LOL Never ever underestimate the stupidity of much of the population. Remember 40% don't pay income tax and most of them are on the dole. When the dole quits or more likely will not buy but a few days of food for a month's dole, watch out. Hungry people are dangerous; that is what set off the middle east.

Oh, please don't misunderstand me. I have no preconceptions that we will get anywhere near even 25% of the people to prepp. But the more that do, the better IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by recon View Post
    We have article going on here in central PA on this. Interesting reading and the comments.
    http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...tml#incart_mce
    The shelf reliance people recently did an in-store demo of their rotation systems at Costco in Twin Falls. Excellent stuff- durable, scalable and it works well. Their hard goods are top quality
    CHOOT UM!

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    Hungry people are dangerous; that is what set off the middle east.
    Hungry and pissed.

Oh, please don't misunderstand me. I have no preconceptions that we will get anywhere near even 25% of the people to prepp. But the more that do, the better IMHO.
    Preppers are people who don't concern me; it is the hungry ones who do concern me.

I know everyone checked their gear and smiled. Just how far is your perimeter good for at night or at night with a heavy rain or snow? Preppers are people; the hungry ones will be animals. In time some of the animals will mature into predators.

Question

I think that more people are talking about stuff along these lines. I also think more people are preparing in case anything ever does happen. I figure that can only be good as it was pointed out if there ever was a disaster the more people that can handle it the better. It makes taking care of those that don't have their crap together much easier since the system is much less swamped.

I also tend to wonder if a lot of this, at least the food storage places in the US like mountian house and such, having shortages has to do with people stocking up for 2012 like a lot of people did for Y2K.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

2012? You mean like the apocolyps or similar?

I think its just worry over the economy #1 maybe followed by a massive terrorist attack or perhaps a combination of those two.

I doubt many people are even aware of the possibility of the solar max storm.

And then there's the ME and even though it's nothing the same, the demonstrations by people in WI over a loss of cheese... government cheese.

A recent object lesson: the run on guns and ammo - just because of zero - no end of the world, shtf, etc. - just that the ability to get either might be resitricted...

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    Hungry people are dangerous; that is what set off the middle east.
    ELC is spot on; so unless food stays affordable there will be problems.

2012? You mean like the apocolyps or similar?
    The whole end of the mayan calander crap.

I think it has more to do with things being so rough right now that people are reasesing the situation and thinking perhaps it wouldn't hurt to have some stuff if things went south. I think the government spending like drunken saliors over the last 3 years or so has really got a lot of poeple thinking.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..