Thread: ndm-86 firing pin question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ndm-86 firing pin question

I recently picked up an NDM-86 in 308 unmodified and unfired.
    My question is, should I have the bolt modified or just shoot hard primer mil-spec ammo?
    Does any one have an unmodified 308 and if so what ammo have you had luck with?
    Any input will be greatly helpful.Also,if the majority say modify who do you recommend for the gunsmith{price is no option,it is my life in the balance}?

I vote keep it unmodified. If i had the chance to buy one with the mod or one without ild buy the one without the SLFP mod.
    Last edited by preokc; 03-26-2011 at 11:50 PM.

If you are interested in handloading, I would vote for the hard military style primers too. I have one that I began shooting with commercial ammo before the recall, and by the time I had the recall modification performed, I had around 250 rounds of commercial ammo through it from Winchester silvertip to Hornady AMAX and SP Custom, to --gasp-- Federal Gold Medal Match (which I believe was the primary ammo that caused the KBs).

What ever you do, don't contact CDNN. I doubt that they'd honor the recall this far down the road, but most of the ones they did were shoddy at best. I ultimately located one of the Russian spring loaded FP kits that made it in, and had it installed because I just didn't trust the workmanship I saw with the CDNN piece. There used to be someone making these pins and selling them on gunbroker I think. I can't find any listed now, so perhaps that didn't pan out.

If it were me, I'd try the military primer handloads, and if the rifle likes that, leave well enough alone. It's not a high volume platform anyway....

Saleen

I believe Bill aka AKE has the parts needed.
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    The most recently revised government version of anything supersedes all evidence to the contrary past, present or future. That's a working definition of authoritarianism.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well, having the spring added to prevent slamfires would make the weapon more versitle in what ammo can be used in it safely. Without it you should restrict yourself to NATO spec surplus ammo that has the NATO + in a circle symbol on the headstamp.

I've tried searching, but haven't found anything....How do I contact Bill....(AKE)?
    Any help will be greatly apreciated.