Thread: American Tactical 75 drum not fitting into my AK47 Yugo M70 Magwell

American Tactical 75 drum not fitting into my AK47 Yugo M70 Magwell

I purchased the 75 round drum and it wont fit length wise form front to back. My Ak takes a 30 mag without a problem. Any idea's? I heard you may have to do some filing on the rear of the mag that sticks out to catch the Mag lock on the AK. However,I also have heard that there might have to be two nubs inside the Magwell that may need to be filed off. I am lost and need some advice. I don't want to F%^&$# up my AK or new Mag.

I am new to my AK and new to this Forum. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Busch; 02-24-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Dremel them down till it fits. (stone tip http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CEwQ8gIwBw# )
    Last edited by abpt1; 02-24-2011 at 08:16 PM.

What parts should I dremel. The risers on the Mags or the 2 bumps in the Magwell? Thanks

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

If the rest of your mags fit, then dremel the drum.

If no magazine fits, then dremel the rifle.

Sorry, but Should I start by filing the 90 degree risers on the Mag or the rear of the mag? Do those risers actually do anything?

Field strip your rifle, and inspect every angle of the magazine well and mag locking area while attempting to insert your magazine. Look at it from the inside of the rifle, look at it from every angle around the outside.

You must determine what is stopping the mag from inserting. How far does it insert? What shape is it in when its inserted the maximum it will go? Does it fit all the way in but then your mag catch is stuck "open"?

How many other magazines have you attempted to insert? What other type of mags did you attempt to insert? Did they insert?

Oh, by the way, the two "nubs" you hear about might look like this. http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/wasrwell.shtml

"FIXED IT" !!!

Thanks for everyone's help. I have attached pictures of before and after the filing. I hope this thread helps other people in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've done the exact same operation before. Good job.

I hope you checked more than one other magazine. If not, you may find that all other mags need filing. If that is the case, than it was the mag catch on the rifle that needed to be filed.

I allways prefer grinding on mag verses rifle .

Quote Originally Posted by robert View Post
    I allways prefer grinding on mag verses rifle .
    It depends on which is out of spec, and if you want magazine compatability.

On my draco, I wanted mag compatibility with regular AK mags. On my PSL, the mag that came with it fit, but the 10 rusty mags I got at discount from APEX wouldn't fit. I figured that I wouldn't ever be picking up PSL mags if SHTF, so I modded the mags and not the rifle.

mine was opposite. I had to dremel under the front lock tab. It had no groove/notch for seating.