Thread: Winter Centerfire Rifle challenge

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

Winter Centerfire Rifle challenge

Dead line March 21 2011

Any centerfire target and any centerfire (non-target) rifle. Two categories, iron and optics

Any position just date it, put down range and shooting position. Give date, time and weather conditions when target was shot. List rifle and ammo.

Mine was Monday, February 28, 2011, 1400 hours
    34 degrees, 6mph winds from north, clear skies
    M1 Garand, w/.308 insert, 7.62X51 ball ammo
    Iron sights

Nothing against the Democrats, but their new symbol made a dandy target. At 100 yards I couldn't see it so I just aimed for the middle of the paper and let her rip rapid fire.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Didn't get much time in today.
    I'll try to sneek out in the morning with the AK and get more up.

Sat, March 5th, 2011. 1P.M.
    37 degrees, windy with some light rain.
    Sig 522 with copper washed 36gr HP's (10 rounds)
    Red Dot, no magnification(Don't have any iron on this one)

The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    M1 Garand, w/.308 insert, 7.62X51 ball ammo
    I'm intrigued, tell me more about the insert please...
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Good shooting. That's what this thread is about, getting people out and shooting in weather that isn't shirt sleeve weather.

You should be able to still get them from Brownells, here are a couple of sources and a picture of what one looks like. You need to glue a spacer block in your gun so you can't accidentally load a clip loaded with 30-06. I'm using standard ball 147 grain ammo and it works fine.
    http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

http://www.mcace.com/images%5Cadapter.jpg

http://www.m1garandrifle.com/Garandparts.htm

Truth is I cannot tell the difference between shooting the .308 and the 30-06 version except at the end of a session there is less fatigue. Replacing the hardball bullets with core-lokt bullets gives me another hunting rifle.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

10/22 with copper washed 36gr HP's (10 rounds)
    Holo sight, no magnification

10/22 with copper washed 36gr HP's (5 rounds)
    Holo sight, no magnification

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Good shooting. That's what this thread is about, getting people out and shooting in weather that isn't shirt sleeve weather.
    No, it wasn't the best weather...... but that group should of been tighter.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Quote Originally Posted by Moebrown20 View Post
    No, it wasn't the best weather...... but that group should of been tighter.
    Anybody can shoot good in shirtsleeve weather, that was more than good enough and it takes a shooter to shoot when everything isn't nice and perfect.

THUCYDIDES.

well i banged a 12x12 gontg at 100 yds with the alby sks today while standing.........pretty good shooting if you consider it was ME

How many times did you bong the gong for the long song? Sorry, couldn't resist.

THUCYDIDES.

Okay Grumpy, went to the range to get some kinks out of this build.

Done this morning, 59 degrees, windy as hell.
    AK-47 with wolf 123g fmj (5 rounds)
    4X magnification @ 100 yards

Not bad for an AK and in windy weather. Only one flyer and it was close enough it would have ruined a deers day or a boogerman if need be.

Come on you guys only 50 hours and 2 minutes till Spring and then I change the rules to make it more challenging. Lets get those winter targets in.

I shot yesterday but all revolvers, .357 mag, 41 mag, 44 mag and 45 BP. When I went down to check my targets I could have fallen over, the only good groups were the BP Ruger Old Army 45 round ball groups and the Ruger Super Blackhawk, 44 mag groups, the 357 and 41 were terrible and I got all my shooting done before the wind hit. Rust, got lots of shooting rust and I need some serious trigger time.

THUCYDIDES.

4 guns, last hurrah before Spring

Probably last chance for me to shoot for awhile so here is my last target for centerfire winter challenge. 3/19/11, 1700 hrs., temp 50 F, overcast, wind 12 to 15 mph from SE.

As you can see by my ammo it was a Remington day for me. I shot 25 yards off hand as fast as I could shoot and used my old Win 94 32 Win Spcl, My H&R .308, My Wby 300 mag and my Mossberg 500C slug gun. Strictly speaking it didn't fit in the category but it is centerfire and it does have a rifled barrel, so I cheated, sue me.

The only ammo not Remington was the .308, my gun doesn't particularly like lighter bullets but I have a large pile of 1979 manufactured Nato hardball so I gave it a try. Shot low but the group was better than I thought. My 32 win is sighted in for 100 yards and it was way high, one shot just barely over the top of the target paper. 300 Wby put 3 in one hole in the bullseye and then dropped two fliers. That little pencil barrel was getting damn hot too. Then the slug gun, well I had to try, I had one bulls eye, 3 in a string touching and one way low at 6 o'clock. I take the blame for that, I shot it immediately after shooting the 300 mag and my old bones don't recover as fast as they used to. It was getting dark so I hurried.

23 hours left before Spring hits, come on guys lets get some targets in.

THUCYDIDES.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I just saw this and I have duty. I have been trying to get to the range to work with my Garand, get it resighted after letting the rear site get loose. I can't believe I am going to miss another mail event. Bother.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member