Thread: Archeologists find 12000 year old fishing tackle

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Post Archeologists find 12000 year old fishing tackle

This is kinda cool: http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/...000+years+old/

Look at the number of implements that they crafted from flint and chert. Amazing.

I look at this and think about how long the human species lived a very simplistic life - literally survival mode 24/7.

Our reliance on high tech gadgetry that requires little or no skill has only been going on for about what? 120 years?
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    This is kinda cool: http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/...000+years+old/

Look at the number of implements that they crafted from flint and chert. Amazing.

I look at this and think about how long the human species lived a very simplistic life - literally survival mode 24/7.

Our reliance on high tech gadgetry that requires little or no skill has only been going on for about what? 120 years?

Now just imagine what happens should all of our high tech shit go kaput. I thank my Dad and Grandparents ever time I can for teaching me how to live without help and how to grow my own food.

That's a really cool find for that team. It's amazing what people can make out of just about anything when need be.
    Last edited by Integratedj; 03-07-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Well, I would still be using iron. I saw a show on the History channel I think that showed how the vikings would use bog soil as a source for iron ore - they'd just make a small kiln and keep puting the soil in and heating it and they'd eventually get enough iron from it to make what they needed. Pretty cool.

Of course, we have so much scrap iron and steel around, all's that would really be needed is a blacksmith set-up and you could fabricate all kinds of stuff with no electricity at all.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Archeologists find 12000 year old fishing tackle, first thing I thought was they must shop the same pawn shops I do

I would bet there's enough junk laying around it would be hundreds of years before anyone had to mine anything if the world really melted down like we often see in an end of times disaster movie.

Well, I would still be using iron. I saw a show on the History channel I think that showed how the vikings would use bog soil as a source for iron ore - they'd just make a small kiln and keep puting the soil in and heating it and they'd eventually get enough iron from it to make what they needed. Pretty cool

Of course, we have so much scrap iron and steel around, all's that would really be needed is a blacksmith set-up and you could fabricate all kinds of stuff with no electricity at all.
    The quality of iron ore in Scandanavia and northern Europe at the time was so poor they had to use pattern welding (what most of you erronously call "Damascus") in order to get an appreciable amount of workable ore. You see a huge variation in quality in blades from that period. There is a reason why the most prized blades of the time came out of Southern Europe/the old Roman Empire.

You could set up a forge fairly easily. The problem is finding the actual ore. The good news is that with some smart recycling on your part there's enough high quality steel and iron available that a hundred generations of blacksmiths could work happily and want for not.
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

So where is the beer cooler?

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

You gotta be mostly right of course but then I also recall a complex 'computing device' recovered from a ship wreck going back to the time of Christ and I wonder....... .

Wart

This stuff looks more like arrowheads... but if affixed to an arrow or spear, does that constitute "fishing tackle" because it was found at a beach?

I know what Flint is, but what's "Chert"? Is that another type of stone, or bone?

None the less, neat that men thousands of years ago had the cognitive skills to fabricate tools and use them appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post

This stuff looks more like arrowheads... but if affixed to an arrow or spear, does that constitute "fishing tackle" because it was found at a beach?

I know what Flint is, but what's "Chert"? Is that another type of stone, or bone?

None the less, neat that men thousands of years ago had the cognitive skills to fabricate tools and use them appropriately.
    Ever hear of spear fishing?

It's probably pretty easy when you're not competing with trawlers...

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Chert (pronounced /ˈtʃɜrt/) is a fine-grained silica-rich microcrystalline, cryptocrystalline or microfibrous sedimentary rock that may contain small fossils. It varies greatly in color (from white to black), but most often manifests as gray, brown, grayish brown and light green to rusty red; its color is an expression of trace elements present in the rock, and both red and green are most often related to traces of iron (in its oxidized and reduced forms respectively).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chert

I like this one better:

What is Chert?

Chert is a microcrystalline or cryptocrystalline sedimentary rock material composed of silicon dioxide (SiO2). It occurs as nodules, concretionary masses and as layered deposits. Chert breaks with a conchoidal fracture, often producing very sharp edges. Early people took advantage of how chert breaks and used it to fashion cutting tools and weapons. Dark varieties of chert are common and are often called "flint".

http://geology.com/rocks/chert.shtml

Wart
    Last edited by Warthogg; 03-07-2011 at 02:10 PM.

I've seen these displayed in various sizes. Always wondered if they were for real. How they worked and what they were going to catch with it???

For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

I know what Flint is, but what's "Chert"?
    Chert, flint, obsidian...for all practical purposes, it's close to the same thing. I tried obsidian once with my flint striker and wasn't impressed. It's properties must be a bit different.

I'm no expert by any means on stoneage living...but I've seen those U shaped "fish hooks" before. The string goes in the center, fish swallows it and you pull sticking it in the fishes throat. I'm sure I'm simplifying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    The quality of iron ore in Scandanavia and northern Europe at the time was so poor they had to use pattern welding (what most of you erronously call "Damascus") in order to get an appreciable amount of workable ore. You see a huge variation in quality in blades from that period. There is a reason why the most prized blades of the time came out of Southern Europe/the old Roman Empire.
    Isn't wootz steel the correct term? It originated in India around 300 BC and Damasus was simply where the Crusaders encountered it.

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    Isn't wootz steel the correct term? It originated in India around 300 BC and Damasus was simply where the Crusaders encountered it.
    Yes. Wootz was a major production area of bloomery steel, and Damascus was a major center of sword making in the Middle East.
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.