Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heavy Bull barrel PSL project

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 a-kmanator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Most excellant, very fine looking work on the rifle. The only thing that distresses me is the welded on front sight. That's going to put a lot of stress in the steel and should be very bad for accuracy. I would suggest you send it to 300 Below for a cryo treatment. That should undo the negatives of welding onto the barrel.
    Thank you gent's...The front sight is not welded to the barrel,It is pinned on like the other barrel componets.It's just hard to see the parting lines..The spring on the front sight prevents the brake from un screwing under recoil..will i ever use the iron sights?.....probably not but I had to run the rear sight for the gas tube lock and it wasn't that much more work to add it.The thumb wheels I made on my CNC plasma table and welded one of those long 5/16 nuts they sell for joining 2 pieces of all thread together to it..and it was a fun build and I am still experimenting with diff.ammo to find the sweet spot.....kman

Last edited by a-kmanator; 05-18-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Ah, you fooled me. Thanks for the explanation and additonal photos. Very nice job. Still I recommend the Cryo treatment. It will make the barrel last at least 2x and it should improve your accuracy. I've done 8 rifles and all of them improved their groupings a minimum of 50%. These were weapons ranging from Remington 700 BDL in 06 chambering to M1 Garands and Swedish Mausers.

I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 a-kmanator's Avatar

Well guy's,Finally got to get to the range today for more ammo testing.Today I was shooting some quality boxer primed brass cased Privy 150 grain soft point and some 182 grain FMJ's. As I suspected the previous rupture brass case problem was ammo related,These cartridges shot flawlessly with zero ruptures or deformity.
    As far as the accuracy the 150 gr. was all over the place and the 182gr was about 1 inch groups..this barrel defiantly likes the heavy stuff the best.Now time to dial in with some handloads...After I do my happy dance....kman

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Fascinating, and I'm not even a Russian gun guy. No it's cool all the fabrication you did yourself. Its also cool you figured out what the deal was with the trashed cases.
    Returns June 3rd.

This is an awesome build, I like it when someone puts their own spin on something instead of the cookie cutter look!

My winter project: to build one similar to this, and also a 7.62x54 Krink!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

How did I miss this?

Attached Images Attached Images
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Thumbs up

Infuckincredible!!!!!

I wish I had just half of your talent and imagination.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    Infuckincredible!!!!!

I wish I had just half of your talent and imagination.
    +100! Very impressive. I envy your ingenuity.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Those are some good range results from old surplus.
    You have to feel good about that.

There is some real Zen in that design.
    One of the best builds I've seen anywhere.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by rahatlakhoom View Post
    Those are some good range results from old surplus.
    You have to feel good about that.

There is some real Zen in that design.
    One of the best builds I've seen anywhere.
    This ^^^^.

You've really spruced that old PSL up. This build is what that gun SHOULD have been. Someone call Cugir, they need to take notes!

This is the coolest build I've ever seen, really impressed!
    Ezra - Houston Tx
    Old cranky member since 1999

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12