Thread: Epoxy and plastic?

Epoxy and plastic?

Need some expert advice. No need to get into the details of why... Need to modify my Magpul RVG. What I need to do first is fill the cavity with something (epoxy maybe) that will make it rigid so it can be machined... remove small areas and not have it collapse. I know epoxy heats up a little as it cured. My question... will it heat up enough to hurt the grip? Melt it? Warp it? I am going to fill the whole cavity to make the grip solid so it will be quite a bit of epoxy.
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

The epoxy should not get that hot, it should not hurt anything. I've filled cheap plactic stocks from Rossi with epoxy and they never got above slightly warm, I'm sure the plastic in your grip of at least the same or better quality...

Send Schuetzenman a PM, he's the resident plastic expert.

I just did. Thanks for all of the replies, too, guys
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

Not sure how much help this will be for ya, but from what I've read, the 'At Home' robar esque grip reduction for Glocks involves filling the hollow in the backstrap with Acraglass, then taking a belt sander and removing material till you like the shape, then coating with a bedliner type compound. (Acraglass is a glass-beding epoxy from Brownells, works good.) One thing to be aware of... Many epoxys don't bond well to plastic, so if your going to remove material anyway, you may wish to drill a few holes through the grip so whatever epoxy you use forms a mechanical lock on the inside of the grip instead if just relying on adhesion.

I haven't done it myself, but that's the theory. Hope it helped.

Whelp... FWIW... what I am going to do is machine out a "pocket" or "indent" for the pressure switch of my M951. I like the shape and feel of the Magpul RVG but like the pocket of the TangoDown. So... I figure if I fill the cavity with epoxy and machine out the proper shape for the switch, I can have the best of both worlds.
    Skäl

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Make a wood insert that takes up 70% of the space and fill with epoxy around that?
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Make a wood insert that takes up 70% of the space and fill with epoxy around that?
    I have a block of aluminum that will do just about that. Something to think about. Thanks.
    Skäl

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Thumbs up

Left you a reply on the PM.

Got it. Thanks.

Now I gotta bring myself to make the attempt. Would hate to screw this up and have to buy another. lol
    Skäl