Thread: Sort of a Spring Fever Range report

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

Sort of a Spring Fever Range report

We did the snow thing night before and then the rain thing yesterday and today did the 56 degree sunny skies with just 7 mph winds thing. Had 100 yards on my mind but I was down with a fever yesterday and did the bottom out low sugar thing this morning so I just shot from in front of my porch with a variety of fun toys that I hadn't shot much since early last fall. Winter rust really showed. Started out with the Mossberg 9200 and a dozen water filled laundry soap jugs set at distances from 4 yards to 25 yards. I am sorry to say none survived.

Switched to the old Win 94 Win 32 Spcl last shot from my blind at a 100 yard target just before deer season. Today offhand at 25 yards, I don't think I would be much danger to a deer at 100 yards today, looks like some sights got bumped last winter.
    Or more likely it's just me.

So I decided to lighten up a little bit and go air gun. Pulled out the Gamo Shadow Sport and loaded up my cheap hunter pellets, the least accurate but the cheapest to buy. Then instead of the 10 meters I usually shoot I shot at 25 yards and to my amazement actually hit paper and got near the target. I think the holes that were actually in the black of the target were the bad shots. I was surprised to find my group as good as it was but a squirrel would be laughing his little fuzzy butt off about now.
    Way past time for my daily dry fire workout and back to the free weights. Can't do much about the old eyeballs but I'll do the best I can.

Better days coming....I hope.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

I was always amazed at how just sitting over a winter could throw off the sights of some of my rifles

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

It seems my handguns sights get "knocked" the quickest when I don't shoot for a while.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I was always amazed at how just sitting over a winter could throw off the sights of some of my rifles
    Yet just a week ago I shot the dickens out of my M1 Garands. Today I felt like I was more danger to me than to the target. I wonder how I will do with the scoped rifles when I go out again.

Nah, got to work on my iron sights for awhile first. I still need to try my 25-20 at 100 yards, I still haven't fired it past 50 yet.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.