Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: Correction Olympic Arms AR-15 used for $540

  1. #1

    Correction Olympic Arms AR-15 used for $540

    Is this a good deal? Is there anything I need to be concerned with about the Olympic arms version? The pawn shop said that "it might not be compatible with things for like the folding stock and stuff"

    Anything in particular I should look for when buying a used AR?

  2. #2

    cross post Olympic Arms AR-15 used for $540

    Forgive the cross post but I figured I'd see if you guys had any suggestions for me on this as well. Turns out the bushy is actually an Olympic Arms AR15.

    Is this a good deal? Is there anything I need to be concerned with about the Olympic arms version? The pawn shop said that "it might not be compatible with things for like the folding stock and stuff"

    Anything in particular I should look for when buying a used AR?

    Thanks.

    -Ash

  3. #3
    ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    SW Florida
    Posts
    12,076
    ARs cannot have folding stocks by design. They can have collapsibles, however. Also, Olympic Arms have a bad reputation from their past rifles, but haven't heard too much about those from the last 5 years or so. I'd offer $500 if you want to try it out...

    You can build a brand new AR, with all new parts not made by Olympic, for not much more than that...
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  4. #4
    Many will warn against that particular manufacturer. I personally have never handled one. For just a few hundred dollars more you could have a new Del Ton or DPMS.

    Here is a great deal:
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...fle&groupid=11

  5. #5

  6. #6
    ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    SW Florida
    Posts
    12,076
    I merged the two threads...
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ Shooter View Post
    I merged the two threads...
    Thanks all. Well, when I called back to ask if I could talk with the guy at the pawn shop that told me about the "$600 bushmaster" he had a couple weeks ago. I got a really snotty lady who ended her conversation with "well I could go through all the rifles we have and list the parts they have...". So I basically told her to shove it.

    Now I'm kicking around the ideas that you all have provided me with. I've got some tinkering abilities and am wondering what all I need to be focusing on when building my own rifle? I've been sorting through the forums here and at ar15.com trying to figure out what I'm looking for. To be honest I'm hoping to have a budget of around $700 give or take and would like a solid rifle/carbine with a rail system on the front handguard. As for sights I'd like to just get the basics for now with the option to upgrade down the road.

    And from what I gathered an AR is simply the following assembled.

    1. Upper receiver (sometimes comes with barrel)
    2. lower receiver
    3. Sights (some receivers have raised sight rail built into upper receiver which I don't want)
    4. Bolt (which seems to come with most of the upper receiver kits from what I can tell)
    5. Magazines which are fairly common.

    Am I missing anything? Also are there any combos of the above that should be avoided? Compatibility issues etc? I work on computers for a living so I'm pulling from that experience on this.

    Well that's enough of a post for now. Thanks for listening and for your info.

    -Dan

  8. #8
    Ok did some looking and am I correct that this is all I need to get going minus the mags?

    http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt104.htm

    and this

    http://www.stagarms.com/product_info...roducts_id=230

  9. #9

  10. #10
    See that's where I was confused too. It sounded like the del-tol kit had the entire parts kit for the lower included? Is this something I really need to watch out for?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    See that's where I was confused too. It sounded like the del-tol kit had the entire parts kit for the lower included? Is this something I really need to watch out for?
    I have a Stag lower/Del Ton upper rifle. Its a great way to go in my opinion. I got a complete flat-top upper, stripped lower, and lower parts kit. After that, all you need is a rear sight(Mag Pul are nice and affordable) and eventually an optic when funds permit. The lower will also need a buffer tube, buffer and spring and stock.

  12. #12
    Senior Member ready's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Mojave
    Posts
    1,908
    If you build it yourself, it'll be exactly the way you want it, you know it'll be done right and you'll also gain the knowledge of how the weapon is put together in case you ever have to fix it.

    My first was a DPMS almost 10 years ago, it's still running like a champ despite what some people might say about the longevity of anything but a Colt. I guess I'm not high speed enough to have my bolt assembly fly through my commercial buffer tube and impale my face.

    Anyways, make sure the stuff that should be torqued is torqued and the stuff that's supposed to be staked is staked and you should be good to go.

  13. #13
    Ok Ready, you got my attention with your comment:
    "to have my bolt assembly fly through my commercial buffer tube and impale my face."

    So what's up with that? I've got the build guide now thanks to you guys and I'm looking through things. Seems pretty tricky overall and I can see me having to buy either another lower "guts" pack or some individual parts as I break/loose them.

    So Ten, you didn't buy the complete (with the exception of the stripped lower) kit from del-ton? That kit seems to have "everything" with the exception of the stripped lower housing.

    I'll go ahead and look over things a little this week and post a parts list for the build. I really would like to get a front tube/rail system that I can mount a vertical grip on. And just have the flat front sight rail to where I can put a custom site on the unit either blades or an optic down the road. I think I saw some that I could pick up for $90 just to get started and I'm sure there are cheaper ones out there.

    Also I noticed that there appears to be two different rail types listed on the del ton site. I've been looking around trying to find out if this is true and what the differences are. I want the most common type if there is such a thing. Any guidance on that?

    Thanks again for all your help.

    -Dan

  14. #14
    The railed forend size will depend on the barrel size you choose. I have a lightly used one for a carbine (16" barrel) you could have for cheap. There are many, many to choose from for every price point. From your initial post I had the impression you were on a budget.

    Do you have any friends or relatives nearby into ARs? It would be nice to do your first build with some guidance and tools to borrow. That said, do not be intimidated. Its not very difficult once you do it. Maybe there is a forum member nearby...

    As to my Stag lower receiver, I bought it stripped and assembled with a lower parts kit. The upper from Del Ton came completely assembled. Bear in mind the lower receiver is the firearm for transfer purposes. If you order online, you will need it shipped to an FFL.

  15. #15
    Wow, just had another interesting dealing with a local gun store owner. So I go into this guys shop, spy a tricked out AR accross the counter and the $1500 price tag that goes with it. So I back away and go around to corner to where the owner is sitting. He asks me what I need and I simply ask him if he would be willing to act as the FFL recipient of a AR-15 lower that I'd like to order. I expected him to say something like "yeah for about $50 service charge", etc. But instead he just looked at me and said "No, we sell those rifles, and I can order one for you, but I'm not going to order just a receiver". So I nodded and headed towards the door.

    So am I missing something? The guy has the opportunity to make $50 no fuss no muss. And from the looks of it through my eyes he's getting fixated on making the big profit that his jacked up price will net him. I mean am I doing something wrong? Or am I just in a real crappy place in WV as far as gun shops go?

  16. #16
    Forum member el duce is in WV. maybe he can point you in the right direction. His wife has been ill and I'm not sure how much he has been checking in. I'll drop him a note with a link to this thread.

  17. #17
    Senior Member abpt1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southeast PA ,
    Posts
    2,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Wow, just had another interesting dealing with a local gun store owner. So I go into this guys shop, spy a tricked out AR accross the counter and the $1500 price tag that goes with it. So I back away and go around to corner to where the owner is sitting. He asks me what I need and I simply ask him if he would be willing to act as the FFL recipient of a AR-15 lower that I'd like to order. I expected him to say something like "yeah for about $50 service charge", etc. But instead he just looked at me and said "No, we sell those rifles, and I can order one for you, but I'm not going to order just a receiver". So I nodded and headed towards the door.

    So am I missing something? The guy has the opportunity to make $50 no fuss no muss. And from the looks of it through my eyes he's getting fixated on making the big profit that his jacked up price will net him. I mean am I doing something wrong? Or am I just in a real crappy place in WV as far as gun shops go?
    yep just being a prick since he cant rob you that way ....lots of shady people out there..

  18. #18
    Senior Member ready's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Mojave
    Posts
    1,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Ok Ready, you got my attention with your comment:
    "to have my bolt assembly fly through my commercial buffer tube and impale my face."

    So what's up with that? I've got the build guide now thanks to you guys and I'm looking through things. Seems pretty tricky overall and I can see me having to buy either another lower "guts" pack or some individual parts as I break/loose them.

    So Ten, you didn't buy the complete (with the exception of the stripped lower) kit from del-ton? That kit seems to have "everything" with the exception of the stripped lower housing.

    I'll go ahead and look over things a little this week and post a parts list for the build. I really would like to get a front tube/rail system that I can mount a vertical grip on. And just have the flat front sight rail to where I can put a custom site on the unit either blades or an optic down the road. I think I saw some that I could pick up for $90 just to get started and I'm sure there are cheaper ones out there.

    Also I noticed that there appears to be two different rail types listed on the del ton site. I've been looking around trying to find out if this is true and what the differences are. I want the most common type if there is such a thing. Any guidance on that?

    Thanks again for all your help.

    -Dan
    The bolt assembly impaling the face comment is just a joke. There are alot of guys out there that will tell you unless you buy Colt or LMT or whatever the Navy SEALs are using today, your rifle is going to fly apart at your first range session. It's BS. I've seen rifles fail because they were put together wrong, but I've never seen one fail because they were put together with DPMS parts.

    When you get your lower parts kit, it will look intimidating your first time. It's not that hard, though. If you get stuck somewhere just hop on here, someone will be logged on to help you out. It's NEVER a bad idea to have an extra bag of parts laying around. Nothing worse that having a spring or pin fly across the room and put a monkey wrench in your plans. Then you have to go online and pay 8 bucks to ship a part that costs 50 cents.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Ok Ready, you got my attention with your comment:
    "to have my bolt assembly fly through my commercial buffer tube and impale my face."

    So what's up with that? I've got the build guide now thanks to you guys and I'm looking through things. Seems pretty tricky overall and I can see me having to buy either another lower "guts" pack or some individual parts as I break/loose them.

    So Ten, you didn't buy the complete (with the exception of the stripped lower) kit from del-ton? That kit seems to have "everything" with the exception of the stripped lower housing.

    I'll go ahead and look over things a little this week and post a parts list for the build. I really would like to get a front tube/rail system that I can mount a vertical grip on. And just have the flat front sight rail to where I can put a custom site on the unit either blades or an optic down the road. I think I saw some that I could pick up for $90 just to get started and I'm sure there are cheaper ones out there.

    Also I noticed that there appears to be two different rail types listed on the del ton site. I've been looking around trying to find out if this is true and what the differences are. I want the most common type if there is such a thing. Any guidance on that?

    Thanks again for all your help.

    -Dan
    You mention a build giude. Is there anyway I could get a copy of that? I am considering putting an AR together myself. Thanks.

  20. #20
    Got a nice update for once. Been emailing the guys at Stag and got the following info from them. They've quoted me:

    Lower Receiver - http://www.stagarms.com/product_info...roducts_id=235 = $300.00

    Norgon Ambi-catch for $80.00

    Ambi Safety/Selector for $25.00

    With shipping totaling $12.00

    So from the looks of it it will be roughly $417 out the door for the lower. And they showed me a list of dealers that are already on their list and there's two in my area so I'll be calling them tonight.

    It's about $100 more for the lower than what I wanted but I'm in the sticky situation of having just discovered I'm left eye dominant. And the "eye retraining" that I have been trying is not working. So with everything "feeling right" as far as optics go, with being lefty I'm thinking the muscle training will yield the best results. For now I'll plan on getting a plane jane upper (right handed) and deal with the shell eject or just get a brass catch for the rifle.

    That having been said and with that hurtle crossed, it looks like my original idea for a Del-Ton kit would be irrelevant as the lower parts kit and stock are already included in this lower unit from stag. So is there another kit that you guys would recommend given the layout? On Del-Ton's website the only thing I'm seeing is the component upper parts. Is there a kit for the upper that I'm just missing?

    Thanks again for all the help.

    -Dan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
VigLink badge