Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AUG questions.

Question AUG questions.

So I made the mistake of going to the gun store today. I was looking around and remebered why it took me so long to get around to getting an FAL. Curiosity got the better of me though and I finially looked at an AUG. I am passingly familier with them but had never handeled one at all before. I was well impressed. So now I want to know more about them. I doubt I will got one but I am mulling the idea over.

The one at the store was OD and had the little 1.5 power or so scope. It also had what looked like a 10 round mag. I was impressed with how light the rifle felt. Also it is one of those cases where the sights just line up right. It felt like a comfortable rifle. I don't like the fact that it is 5.56, I don't care for the round. I also didn't like the price tag $2099, OWCH! So I doubt I will get one, I can think of other things I would rather spend that kind of money on.

So I have done a little digging and, have some questions. So here is a brief run down of what I think I know. Let me know if any of this is wrong. It looks like 16" is the standard barrel length. That would have been my guess looking at this one on what it comes with. From what I have read today it looks like they are crome lined which I think is a huge plus. It also looks like they can be swaped out quickly too a? Also it looks like you can get them in 20" which is what I would prefer. Can you get them that way or do you have to order a new barrel seperatly? Can you get them with a bayonet lug?

Also I have heard that some have a rail instead of that sight. I don't know that I care that much. I am not a huge fan of a million rails but I can see where it would be nice to put a red dot on it. The scope seems decent. How well does it work in low light?

I liked the clear mag that let you check to see how much ammo you have left easily. How much are spare mags? Are they 32 round mags. I seem to recall that but then it looks like they come in 10, 20, 30 and, 42 round capacaties. I would guess that if they are 30 round mags most AR mag pouches would work? How hard is it to find mag pouches for the mags?

How relible are the rifles? Are the trigers as bad as I hear? Any thing else I should know?
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Question More quesitons

Oh yeah came up with some other questions. I seem to recall that one of the two companies stoped making theirs right? I seem to also recall they come in two different versions, one takes M-16 mags the other takes special mags right?
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

If you don't like the 5.56,get and RFB from KelTec.Uses FAL mags.Price tag is a bit high but less than the Aug.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

the MSAR AUG clones go for $999 when there on sale usually at CDNN. The version that takes M16 mags cost around $1400 when on sale.

I'd like a 16" OD green railed model that takes AR mags.

AUG mags are bigger than AR mags, trigger should feel similar to a glock, and if its not reliable, MSAR will make it reliable.

Sorry, I don't know much about the Styer made ones. Oh, and the barrels are quick change.

Oh yeah, and MSAR offers the E4 model in 7.62x39, 5.45, and 6.8 as well as regular 5.56

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    If you don't like the 5.56,get and RFB from KelTec.Uses FAL mags.Price tag is a bit high but less than the Aug.
    I would like to look at the RFB but I am as of yet to even see one. I have been looking too.I wonder if you can mod one to take inch instad of metric FAL mags. I would guess that you could.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Styer stopped making the AUG A3, MSAR makes the STG-556 that uses AUG mags, and the STG-E4 that takes AR mags. They are usually $999 and $1400 respectively, when on sale.

Question

Yet another question I came up with sorry. It looked like you can change them from right to left hand right? How hard is it to do that? Does the gun come with all the stuff to do that or would you have to order more parts. Any idea what barrels for those things cost?
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Styer stopped making the AUG A3, MSAR makes the STG-556 that uses AUG mags, and the STG-E4 that takes AR mags. They are usually $999 and $1400 respectively, when on sale.
    I wonder why the gun store wants so much for one. At 2100 I can't see me buying one. At $1400 or less I might do it especially around $1000. I may have to look around see if I can't find one cheaper.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    $2100 for a true Steyr AUG is a steal!!!!!!

But there were three main versions, and variations exist, but you can bank on the following:

Black receiver must have a 16 inch barrel. Make sure serial numbers match, there were black fakes using cut down 20 inch barrels.

Green receivers were all 20 inch barrels, and came in two versions, the A1 with fixed scope/carry handle and A2 with removable scope/carry handle.

Gray receivers were all post-Bush ban rifles mark USR and had an extra piece of plastic to make a sort of Bush-hole stock, and had a heavy non-threaded barrel.

Check here: http://www.steyr-aug.com/buy_a_new_aug.htm for some great info to help you make sure you get what you paid for.

Later, Steyr licensed a US company to make another version that really didn't sell well, but was still a nice version of the original. I believe it was called an A3.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    $2100 for a true Steyr AUG is a steal!!!!!!

But there were three main versions, and variations exist, but you can bank on the following:

Black receiver must have a 16 inch barrel. Make sure serial numbers match, there were black fakes using cut down 20 inch barrels.

Green receivers were all 20 inch barrels, and came in two versions, the A1 with fixed scope/carry handle and A2 with removable scope/carry handle.

Gray receivers were all post-Bush ban rifles mark USR and had an extra piece of plastic to make a sort of Bush-hole stock, and had a heavy non-threaded barrel.
    Thanks for the info. I don't know who made this one, I should have looked. Maybe that is why it is so much. It has the green reciver which is what I think I would want that or the tan. I doubt the barrel was 20" though, I was guessing 16" but, it is a guess I should have asked. I don't know if you could remove the scope or not. That would be a nice feature. That way you can keep it (kind of liked it) but change it out later if you want. Thanks for the info.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

It does pay to learn as much as you can about these before spending big dollars because although the knock-offs were nice rifles, they would not command the prices that a true pre-ban Steyr AUG commands.

You might also search Gunbroker for "aug" and see the new versions versus the original.

For $2100, it was just an overpriced MSAR.

The prices I listed are usually only available a couple times a year. Shops and everywhere else jack up the price because production is low.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    It does pay to learn as much as you can about these before spending big dollars because although the knock-offs were nice rifles, they would not command the prices that a true pre-ban Steyr AUG commands.

You might also search Gunbroker for "aug" and see the new versions versus the original.
    That is why I am playing a million questions first. Other than the fact that the Styer isn't imported or made any more what makes it worth so much more now that the ban has expired? Is it just a colocters premium price for the orginal real deal or what? Are they better made than the other?

For $2100, it was just an overpriced MSAR.

The prices I listed are usually only available a couple times a year. Shops and everywhere else jack up the price because production is low.
    Good to know thanks.

Another good quesiton on one of the web sites I was looking it looked like you could get it in other calibers as well, the 6.8 7.62x39 and 5.45. Does any one know anything about that? Are those rifles rechambered in that caliber ir is it something you can convert the rifle to do by changing out the barrel and say bolt? If so this rifle is looking really good when I don't like 5.56 but had the option to change calibers latter if I desired.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

I believe that the caliber can be changed by swapping bolt and barrel and mags.

To change from right to left hand ejection you need a kit that includes a new bolt (I think) and some other stuff.

I've wanted an MSAR for quite a while. I have a Bushmaster bullpup already, and the other day I compared a FN FS2000 and a MSAR STG-556 16" side by side. The MSAR felt much better. It was light, slim, and seemed to follow the KISS principal. The FS 2000 was bulky and appeared to have an over complex ejection method. I was able to figure out all of the controls and the order of operations on the STG-556 based on my experience with other battle rifles. The FS 2000 I was lost. It felt like a robot gun from Halo or something. I was sold on the MASR (again).

Now I just need to sell some other toys, get a job, and start saving up.

I beleive that the caliber can be changed by swapping bolt and barrel and mags.

To change from right to left hand ejection you need a kit that includes a new bolt (I think) and some other stuff.

I've wanted an MSAR for quite a while. I have a Bushmaster bullpup already, and the other day I compared a FN FS2000 and a MSAR STG-556 16" side by side. The MSAR felt much better. It was light, slim, and seemed to follow the KISS principal. The FS 200 was buly and appeared to have an over complex ejection method. I was able to figure out all of the controls and the order of operations on the STG-556 based on my experience with other battle rifles. The FS 2000 I was lost. It felt like a robot gun from Halo or something. I was sold on the MASR (again).

Now I just need to sell some other toys, get a job, and start saving up.
    I have looked at the FS2000 not impressed at all. I thought mag changes were a pain and the gun did not feel right in the least. The only thing I liked was you could shoot it off either shoulder with out messing with it. Other than that I hated it. I also didn't like how you couldn't check to see if it was chambered. At least I couldn't tell how. I can only imagine how much fun clearing a jam from one would be.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

The reason the original Steyr AUG and USR command so much is that with the Bush-ban in 1989, there is no expiration, so there will be no more original AUGs, and once william jefferson clinton found out that the USR existed, he had it added to the "banned by name" list, so no more of those can be imported.

The new current generation ones must meet the sporting purpose clause of the second amendment, meaning they must be made with a certain amount of US parts. I believe all three of the recent examples were in fact US made, leaving the original banned ones as the only imported versions available, and in very limited quantities.

I believe the different calibers were nothing more than someone's dreams. The Steyrs only came in as 5.56x45 with a couple very rare in 9mm.

MSAR offers the STG-E4 in different calibers.

MSAR offers the STG-E4 in different calibers.
    Thank you, didn't know that. Now I can say I learned something today!!!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Penguin,
    http://www.msarinc.com/stg-556-E4.html follow these links to read up on the MSAR rifles.

Personally, I've handled the MSAR and did not get wow'ed by it. I don't like the waffle pattern Aug mags that cost 2X what a quality M16 mag costs. I don't like the mag release on the stock. For me it was clunky to reach and the mag didn't eject and drop freen when depressed. Last point I'm not certain of but I think it does not have a last round hold open feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Penguin,
    http://www.msarinc.com/stg-556-E4.html follow these links to read up on the MSAR rifles.

Personally, I've handled the MSAR and did not get wow'ed by it. I don't like the waffle pattern Aug mags that cost 2X what a quality M16 mag costs. I don't like the mag release on the stock. For me it was clunky to reach and the mag didn't eject and drop freen when depressed. Last point I'm not certain of but I think it does not have a last round hold open feature.
    The E4 version uses M16 mags so no problem there. They do in fact have a last round hold open. Also, the charging handle can be pushed into a detent when pulled to the rear, so that it holds the bolt open manually like an HK roller lock style weapon.

STG-556 = AUG mags = $999 when on sale
    STG-E4 = M16 mags = $1399 when on sale

I've always had a thing for bullpups and really want the STG-E4. I wish the price would come down like it has with Sig-556. It should be no more than $999 for an E4, but oh well. Maybe they'll eventually come down like the Sig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast