Thread: looking at a 2.5" S&W 686 no dash, have some questions.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

looking at a 2.5" S&W 686 no dash, have some questions.

The model in question as a lock.

The seller says produced 2009.

Model 686 no dash version.

Without having to join yet another specialty forum can anyone here help me out?
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Not possible. The 686 went to the 686-1 in 1986 so a "no dash" would have been from 1980 to 1986. The internal lock was added in 2001 with the change to the 686-6.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Not possible. The 686 went to the 686-1 in 1986 so a "no dash" would have been from 1980 to 1986. The internal lock was added in 2001 with the change to the 686-6.
    That is what I thought as well. The seller is going to check when he gets home. He was told by the dealer that it was a no dash and admits he is really not sure.

When did they start the 686+? That might account for the lock? A SN would be helpful so we can check it in "The Book"...
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Quote Originally Posted by awp101 View Post
    When did they start the 686+? That might account for the lock? A SN would be helpful so we can check it in "The Book"...
    I did not even ask if it was a 686+, the seller is at work until later tonight. He will get back to me with my other questions. Just emailed again if it is a 686+.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

A 686+ means a 7-shot cylinder. This would indicate it's actually at least a 686-4 version (beginning 1996). The 686-5 included a change in the frame design, floating firing pin with flat-faced hammer and a MIM trigger (1997). The 686-6 has the internal lock system (2002). Hope this helps!

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Conformation made on the 686. Offically a 686-6 6 shot, hogue wood grips. Does this model have MIM?

Thanks to all the have helped here.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    Conformation made on the 686. Offically a 686-6 6 shot, hogue wood grips. Does this model have MIM?

Thanks to all the have helped here.
    S&W started using MIM hammer with floating firing pin and MIM trigger with the 686-5 version in 1997. Then the 686-6 started using an internal hammer and trigger key lock in 2001. I you knew the 3-letter prefix of the serial number I might be able to give you a better idea of the year it was made. Hope this helps!

Steve
    Last edited by Gunreference1; 04-11-2011 at 05:39 AM.
    After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    S&W started using MIM hammer with floating firing pin and MIM trigger with the 686-5 version in 1997. Then the 686-6 started using an internal hammer and trigger key lock in 2001. Hope this helps!

Steve
    Much thanks!

No for opionions. Trade my sig 220 DAK with night sights for the 686?

Offically a 686-6 6 shot, hogue wood grips. Does this model have MIM?
    It should and you know what? It won't make a tinker's damn. Unless you're training like a top level IPSC or ICORE shooter, you won't wear them out. On the off chance that you do someday, replace them with forged parts and drive on. I won't buy a lock version unless A: it's used and B: it's a variation I just HAVE to have but I don't let MIM stop me. JMH(YC)O

Trade my sig 220 DAK with night sights for the 686?
    If the seller is kicking in some cash, yes since I'm not a fan of the 220 or the DAK. Anywhere between $50-100 would be fair if both are in equal condition, again IMO.

Anything the 220 could do, my Para LDA could do as well (with a better feeling trigger IMO) and the 229 DAK my buddy had didn't feel "right" to me either.

Just my two cents but remember, my two cents is worth a fortune in your currency.
    I aim to misbehave...

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by awp101 View Post
    It should and you know what? It won't make a tinker's damn. Unless you're training like a top level IPSC or ICORE shooter, you won't wear them out. On the off chance that you do someday, replace them with forged parts and drive on. I won't buy a lock version unless A: it's used and B: it's a variation I just HAVE to have but I don't let MIM stop me. JMH(YC)O

If the seller is kicking in some cash, yes since I'm not a fan of the 220 or the DAK. Anywhere between $50-100 would be fair if both are in equal condition, again IMO.

Anything the 220 could do, my Para LDA could do as well (with a better feeling trigger IMO) and the 229 DAK my buddy had didn't feel "right" to me either.

Just my two cents but remember, my two cents is worth a fortune in your currency.
    Well I do not want the a -6 model but then the deal was killed when he wanted cash on top on my sig. So no go at all.

I'm getting a FAL instead for the sig lol.

A better trade IMO. Unless it's a Hesse...
    I aim to misbehave...