Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Refinishing a CZ-82

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by my-rifle View Post
    Hey Schuetz! Why would the OP want to strip off the original enamel finish just to put another one on? I'd think aesthetics would have something to do with the decision.

I can say that both parked as well as blued guns do not stand up well AT ALL to removing and replacing a pistol in a holster day after day after day. The original CZ82 finish on the other hand is amazingly durable. Two years of daily removal and replacement, and it's still holding up like it was the day I got it. It does not look as good as that parked gun though
    I would assume he did it because this wasn't a pristine example of a CZ82. Gun Kote is a very tough finish and I would expect it to hold up to holster insertion and removal quite well. Nothing's harder on a finish than the safety selector switch on an AK weapon. I've yet to have my AK scratch through the Gun Kote after years of use.

Question What Type of Paint Stripper?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Life is much easier than that. Get you some paint stripper, an old toothbrush and a can of Chemtool carburetor cleaner. Then buy you some of the parkerizing solution from Alleganey Arms. I did one a few months ago and it turned out great. Takes about 30 minutes to clean it and 30 minutes to parkerize it.

JoJo - What kind of paint stripper did you use; mineral spirits or another organic solvent base? Thanks, Mark

I just used the "Aircraft Paint Stripper" you get at Autozone. Actually I think it came from O'riellys. I just broke mine down into sub assemblies and didn't take it completely apart like slamfire did. Took a toothbrush and just worked it around until it all came off. Then I put somemore on it after it was cleaned and bushed it again to get some tiny specks that I missed. Once finished I sprayed it off/out with Chemtool carburetor cleaner and swished it around in MEK to make sure it was clean. I then got the Park solution going on my stove in a stainless bowl while I washed the parts again in hot water and Dawn dishwashing detergent. From there I immediately rinsed in hot water and put in the park solution for about 5-7 minutes. Let it bubble till it stopped, assembled it and put it back in the sink full of soapy water and worked the action a few times. Rinsed it in hot water while cycling the action then dried it off and hosed it down with BreakFree. I forget how long it took but it couldn't have been much longer than 1.5 hours or so. After I blew all of the excess BreakFree out of it I took it out back and put a few clips thru it.

I might add that while I appreciate the effort that Slamfire put into the disassembly of his, I was too concerned about losing small parts and maybe scratching it up during reassembly. I'm older and my eyes are not so good as they used to be.
    Last edited by jojo; 10-20-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I just used the "Aircraft Paint Stripper" you get at Autozone. Actually I think it came from O'riellys. I just broke mine down into sub assemblies and didn't take it completely apart like slamfire did. Took a toothbrush and just worked it around until it all came off. Then I put somemore on it after it was cleaned and bushed it again to get some tiny specks that I missed. Once finished I sprayed it off/out with Chemtool carburetor cleaner and swished it around in MEK to make sure it was clean. I then got the Park solution going on my stove in a stainless bowl while I washed the parts again in hot water and Dawn dishwashing detergent. From there I immediately rinsed in hot water and put in the park solution for about 5-7 minutes. Let it bubble till it stopped, assembled it and put it back in the sink full of soapy water and worked the action a few times. Rinsed it in hot water while cycling the action then dried it off and hosed it down with BreakFree. I forget how long it took but it couldn't have been much longer than 1.5 hours or so. After I blew all of the excess BreakFree out of it I took it out back and put a few clips thru it.

I might add that while I appreciate the effort that Slamfire put into the disassembly of his, I was too concerned about losing small parts and maybe scratching it up during reassembly. I'm older and my eyes are so good as they used to be.

Not to mention your blood pressure going sky high from aggravation.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Thank you!

JoJo, thank you very much for outlining the process you used. I was worried that I would have to disassemble my 82 to the point of individual parts to park my weapon. I too have a bad case of "CSC" - Can't See Crap! If my 82 turns out as half a nice as your weapon I'll be well pleased. Again, thanks. -Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mnegie View Post
    JoJo, thank you very much for outlining the process you used. I was worried that I would have to disassemble my 82 to the point of individual parts to park my weapon. I too have a bad case of "CSC" - Can't See Crap! If my 82 turns out as half a nice as your weapon I'll be well pleased. Again, thanks. -Mark
    This is the tutorial I went by.
    Without it, I would have been screwed.

http://myweb.cableone.net/leolani/cz...sassembly.html
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I like those wooden grips! I have an extra grip set in OD Duracoat, which I was going to use as a template to make a set of wooden grips for mine. Right now my big decision is.. which wood to use. The enamel finish on mine is pretty good for an 87, the only rough spots are where CAI's import marks are on the slide..bastards!

Thank you Slamfire51.

The link you provided was very informative. I'm still a little hesitant on doing a total breakdown of my 82, but armed with a little knowledge and four beers I may give it a try. The link is to the CZ-82/82 manual; this has a parts list to go with the exploded drawing of the CZ-82. I truly appreciate the help and insights from the members of this forum.

http://www.cz-usa.com/download/58/

Kewl. Let us know how it worked out for you and post some pics. Remember that oil / fingerprints are going to prevent the park from properly etching the metal (don't take shortcuts on degreasing) so make sure it's good and clean/oil free with Acetone or MEK.

Try not to contaminate the solution with oil and you can reuse it for some other projects.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123