Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5.7x28 brass

Relaod Data for 5.7x28 from 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Weighing a completed round of ammunition isn't going to be very revealing in most cases. AS you pointed out Mark, brass does vary in weight. How big a case is, brand / manufacturer, commercial or Military will all cause different amounts of variation. .223 military brass can vary upwards of 3 grains if I remember correctly. For match loads I will weigh the brass and separate them into different lots.

Benchrest shooters will fill the case with water and sort their cases by internal volume identified by weight of the water. Bigger volume cases will hold more water, lighter cases will hold less water and have a smaller internal volume. The volume inside the case contributes to pressure and bullet speed resulting from a known powder charge. Small volume = more pressure and speed. Bigger volume = lower pressure and speed.
    I am new to this forum, and have only been shooting the 5.7 for two years [I have two AR57, one 14" barrel, and one 16" barrrel, they use the 50 rnd P90 magazine; http://www.57center.com/1.html ].
    I have, however, been reloading for the better part of 40 years, from .45-70 to .30 Luger, and lots of sizes in between.
    A few months ago I came across this link, with some interesting load data from Guns & Ammo, posted 2008-05: http://archives.gunsandammo.com/content/57x28-fn
    There is data from 35 grain, uo to the military 62 grain projectile, some interesting velocities, and indication that you can go to 70 gr projectiles...
    I look forward to [mostly] duplicating .22 Hornet [T/C 10" bull bbl] with the Nosler 60 gr Partition.
    Anyone who doesn't want their brass can feel free to send it to me, as I will certainly put it to god use with a new set of RCBS dies! Send me a message and I will give you the address.
    Thanks!

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

What kind of results are you guys having? I want to start on the 5.7X28, as soon as the current 30-06 project is finished. Words of wisdom sincerely appreciated.

hornady is what I use and have zero complaints, just make sure to over lube the cases as a stuck one is no fun

Try Hogdgon Longshot powder, its another good one that ive used for several years

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12