Thread: AR build questions

AR build questions

I am putting together my first AR. After reading posts on here, I have settled on a Del-Ton upper. I have a few questions though as I am a cherry. Some of their stuff says pre-ban while others say post ban. What is the difference? Also, chrome molly barrel or chrome lined? Thanks for your help guys!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    I am putting together my first AR. After reading posts on here, I have settled on a Del-Ton upper. I have a few questions though as I am a cherry. Some of their stuff says pre-ban while others say post ban. What is the difference? Also, chrome molly barrel or chrome lined? Thanks for your help guys!
    Ok, let's see if I can make sense of this. Unless you live in a rights sucking state like New York, MD, Cali etc. you don't need to pay attention to pre or post ban stuff. Preban refers to pre 1995 Clinton administration Assault weapons ban when cosmetic attributes of AR, AK, what they called Assault Rifles were banned by Dummycraps. That ban expired in 2004 but, some states have passed their own 2nd Amendment denial laws to shit on their citizens. What was banned were; flash hiders, bayonet lugs, folding or telescoping stocks on weapons that take a detachable box magazine and have a pistol grip type stock. That's it in a nut shell. So the stupid ban made it to where you could get an AR15 but it couldn't have a flash hider, bayonet lug or telescoping stock.

You would want to purchase Preban type barrels or complete upppers to have the threaded barrel for the flash hider or maybe even a suppressor. Trust me when I say suppressors are sooooooo cool! If you want a weapon suitable for SHTF I would recommend chrome lined barrel and chamber type barrels. A compromise would be to get a Stainless barrel and just spray paint it black or what ever to kill the shine. Chromed bores are not as accurate because chrome does not deposit evenly in a bore. It prevents rust and does extend barrel life. Stainless steel will do similar thing to chrome in rust prevention, but because it can have a more uniform bore accuracy should be better in a typical SS barrel vs. a typical chrome lined barrel.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 12-11-2011 at 09:36 AM.

I think Shuetz summed it up pretty well.

AR's are pretty easy to build. If you run into trouble though, there are plenty of people here who will answer any questions that you have.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Date check Mr Schuetzenman. 1994

Chrome molly are usually more accurate, don't have the life or the ability to go long times without cleaning. Chrome lined barrels as Schuetz said are generally not as accurate, can last twice as long, and can go longer before cleaning after using corrosive ammo.

Correct 1994, was trying to knock out the reply too fast I guess.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll post pictures in a few months when I put it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Correct 1994, was trying to knock out the reply too fast I guess.
    I saw that too but was thinking about the 89 ban when Bush senior did the import ban by features ... then Colt started voluntarily neutering their guns without bayo lugs and put in sear blocks and shit ... which all kinda prefaced the 94 domestic ban by features

Quote Originally Posted by kimberkid View Post
    I saw that too but was thinking about the 89 ban when Bush senior did the import ban by features ... then Colt started voluntarily neutering their guns without bayo lugs and put in sear blocks and shit ... which all kinda prefaced the 94 domestic ban by features
    That's all true to be sure. I think my 1985 thing was simply a typing error as 8 is next to 9 on the keyboard. I wasn't looking for a spelling error in the date.