Thread: PSL Build

PSL Build

Had to do it.. I had the build fever going so i broke down and bought 2 PSL kits from center fire systems..
    I like the kits. there packed in cosmo and not all torn up.. finish on the barrels are great
    I will give the kit a strong 8 out of 10 as far as kits go..
    The build is just like the AK just on a grander size..
    When i do mine i like to use rivets.. not really that hard

well long story short..
    Bought the kit and a reciever.. both showed up and i was pleased
    reciever looks good but there is still some work you have to do
    like drill the hole in the bottom of the reciever for the stock screw to go
    through (no biggie) clean up the the holes in the reciever. ( not drilled out all the way )..
    so i pressed the barrel out and started cleaning the rivets from the kit and mated the
    2 together. rivets went fine and the kit started to come together. Press the barrel in and then i placed the trigger group in to find out the slot for the trigger was not finished and i had to break out the dremal... grrrrrr.... ok thats part of building kits. ok triggers in and the PSL is looking good then as i am placing the wood on it i drop the lower handguard and snap the corner off ( shit my bad ).. Found a replacement for 40 so thats ok.. swiped the one from kit 2 for now
    ok now it really looks good.... racks fine looks sweet.. Now its time to ad the scope that i have had forever.... had to grind a little on the rail.. to tall. and now it gets better.. the front weld on the rail gives way....... only 2 welds holding the rail on......
    time to break out the mig..

point being is if theres another reciever out there you might want that one instead...
    but the kits are great....

when i started doing this and some old timers here will remember around 2002 about the time i started here at GN you could get these kits for 100 bucks..
    Still 350 is better the the new going rate of 600 to 700.

KIT 8+ out of 10
    Reciever 4 out of 10

center fire systems

forgive my grammer...
    Last edited by Klawndyke; 04-29-2011 at 09:18 AM.
    "God didn't make all men equal -- Colonel Colt did."

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Very nice looking rifle.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Moderator & Team GunsNet SILVER 11/2010 Tx Dogblaster's Avatar

I've always thought a PSL would be cool to have and then I always tell myself a x54r AK pistol would be cool since I have nothing else that shoots that round. It would be (like any other AK pistol IMHO, just a toy) so I wouldn't feel the urgent need to "stock up" on ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Dogblaster View Post
    I've always thought a PSL would be cool to have and then I always tell myself a x54r AK pistol would be cool since I have nothing else that shoots that round. It would be (like any other AK pistol IMHO, just a toy) so I wouldn't feel the urgent need to "stock up" on ammo.
    never thought about one of these in a pistol.. i bet it would kick like a mule..

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Very nice! What receiver did you use?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Very nice! What receiver did you use?
    Heres a link.. there 79.99 right now..

reciever link

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 a-kmanator's Avatar

Looks good!...most of the Romanian receivers need about 20 thousands taken off the width with a 60 degree dove tail bit.I used a No-dak squareback on my H-bar PSL build with out issues.
    Last edited by a-kmanator; 05-02-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by a-kmanator View Post
    Looks good!...most of the Romanian receivers need about 20 thousands taken off the width with a 60 degree dove tail bit.I used a No-dak squareback on my H-bar PSL build with out issues.
    I found that out right away.. thats also when i found the broken weld on the rail..

Other than that it went together very easy

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I had the same issue with my build, PSO1 scope not fitting, I filed down the scope mount rather than the scope rail, a lot easier metal.
    Good price. I built mine quite a few years ago IIRC it was $349?$399?$299? somewhere in that area for the kit. It was before the AWB sunsetted as I remember grinding out the weld I had put on the bayo lug when it did sunset.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Surley built a PSL pistol. Speaking of him, I haven't seen him post in a long time. Did he ever find the new Gunsnet?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

He found it but he does not post here for various reasons as others no longer post here.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

What did you use for pressing the barrel in? I'm thinking about this for my next build. I have a couple of kits and the imported receivers, which are crude after NDS. My JEGS 12 ton can't close to dealing with the length. I was thinking I might have to make one of the threaded rod systems to mount the barrel. (Any links to setting one of these up.)

Since I have a so-so drill press and no mill it looks like I'll be doing a lot of filing. The rails are too tight and the scope mount is oversize. That is probably good since it looks like it was cut with a can opener but I could probably get that working with a triangular file and a caliper to keep it straight to the top of the receiver.

Steve

Here is the writeup of my PSL build.

Here is the writeup of my PSL build. I figured out a way of getting the barrel in that is so easy it will surprise you. Although it may only work if the trunnion and barrel are matching, bot from the original rifle.

http://marcspslbuild.zapto.org/

Quote Originally Posted by CrufflerSteve View Post
    What did you use for pressing the barrel in? I'm thinking about this for my next build. I have a couple of kits and the imported receivers, which are crude after NDS. My JEGS 12 ton can't close to dealing with the length. I was thinking I might have to make one of the threaded rod systems to mount the barrel. (Any links to setting one of these up.)

Since I have a so-so drill press and no mill it looks like I'll be doing a lot of filing. The rails are too tight and the scope mount is oversize. That is probably good since it looks like it was cut with a can opener but I could probably get that working with a triangular file and a caliper to keep it straight to the top of the receiver.

Steve
    All thread is what I used, went to the nut & bolt place an bought a 3' piece of 1/4 x 28 grade 8.
    The 28 thread pitch makes it go in real smooth & you are not going to break the grade 8 rod.