Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camo for your black rifle: Quick and Dirty

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Post Camo for your black rifle: Quick and Dirty

OK, we've all seen different camo'd guns. There are all kinds of ways of going about it. Some involve painting the stocks with various paterns using a brush or air brush, some are just spray paint cross-hatches and some are basically camo tape that is wrapped around the gun. And then there's dipping to apply hi-def imiages and there's also the camo "clothing" that can be zipped or hook and looped onto your long gun. I have seen some really nicely painted camo patterns - but the person doing the painting has some skill and not everyone can do this well.

I personally have found a quick and easy method that gives a durable finish and has an effective and nice looking camo patern. And it's cheap too!

This can be applied to wood, metal and polymer.

My subject or victim is a used Mini 14 that I bought recently. I removed the stock and did it separately, but as you will see, you can use the same method for the whole rifle if you want to.

Before:

The "tools":

As you can see, not much to it! Just some Krylon matt camo paint - two or more colors , some acetone and some kind of open-weave fabric. I had some fishnet camo fabric on hand and so used that.

The process if very simple.

1) Completely degrease the entire piece to be painted with the acetone. This is a very important step as it will ensure that you get good adhesion with the paint. The acetone will remove many types of finishes so know that before you get started. It didn't have much of an effect on the factory finish that Ruger used on this stock however. The point is, remove all oil and grease before applying the paints.

2) Apply an even coat of "base color" to the piece. I use a lighter color like the dessert tan as my base. The Kryolon camo paint will dry enough to be handled (wear latex gloves to prevent oil from your skin getting on the paint) within 5 minutes on a warm day.

3) After the first coat has dried enough, lay the fish net or other fabric over a section of the stock or gun. Make sure to have the fabric down on the stock - not floating above and flat - so as to make a clearly defined impression. Then, choose a darker color paint and begin shooting "spots" and shapes about 3 or 4" in diameter spaced apart from each other - hold the can about 6" above the piece. Leave the fabric in place or 5 minutes or as long as needed for the paint to initially dry - then move it and continue this process until you have the entire stock done. You can use just one color or as many as you want, but they should be darker than the base - or if you use a dark base, then they need to be lighter than the base. I used OD green, Dark Earth and Black.

4) After these first two applications, place the fabric again - only shift if just slightly from the pattern that you used before - that is, the fabric should be shifted a little to the right or left of where it made the impression before - this will allow you to create some shadowing. Choose a contrasting color (from the spot) and shoot smaller spots and shapes. Again, spray, dry, move the cloth, repeat - until the stock is covered.

After you have completed this process, and the stock or gun has dried overngight, you are done! There's no need to apply a top coat as the Krylon is surprisingly durable. It resists scratches and will just shine up a little where it's rubbed hard.

Of course, if you want to - once the Krylon has cured well, you can apply a clear-coat over this to increase durability - a matt polyurethane - I would go with Krylon brand.

Here's the finished gun:

Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 05-03-2011 at 09:48 AM.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

romak10/63UF
    O.S.O.K you never cease to amaze me... i will use twigs , branches an leaves to make my camo .

lol - ok -looking forward to the pics

laundry drop bags work perfect.

Dont use the flimsy stuff. The paint will eat it.

If I get around to it I'll post a pic of My Savage I did using the burlap method.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Let's see it - talk is cheap

it's pouring outside so here's what you get.

PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Ah, OK - so you wrap the burlap around and spray. Not the best angle in the pic -but I can see what you did- does the trick!

I know that the guys in the sand box just randomly spray different drab colors on their guns - after taping the scope ends... I guess they use Krylon camo from what I hear.

Krylon camo holds up to abuse/heat very good.

dOnt mind paying the price .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Yep - good stuff. And if you scuff it up, you can just give it a quick shot from the can.

Now. If I could get Instant Blueing in a spray can.

PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Can we get this as a sticky?
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

That's pretty good!

Did you have any problems with the acetone eating away at the OEM varnish/laquer/eurethane? I was thinking the acetone would degrease it pretty well, but it might also make the stock finish kind of tacky? Would Isopropyl alcohol or mineral spirits work too?

Also, what are your thoughts on maybe lightly sanding the wood stock first to help the base coat adhere a little easier?

Nice Job!

Thanks - denatured wood alcohol will work too. The stock did not get tacky though. No need to sand IMHO.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zoff12 View Post
    Can we get this as a sticky?
    PM Ten-32 he is the mod here. I know I know I'm making you work for it lol.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    PM Ten-32 he is the mod here. I know I know I'm making you work for it lol.
    You are worse than my Wife...
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoff12 View Post
    You are worse than my Wife...
    Are you sure about that? I was married to same woman for 15 years. I'd say you got off lightly. After all she got you some fishnets.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    Are you sure about that? I was married to same woman for 15 years. I'd say you got off lightly. After all she got you some fishnets.
    lol True! Actually, I am married to a great woman who, when we got married, confiscated my Colt Gov't. Carbine. She liked it better than the Mini30 she had. She is an absolute purist with any firearm though. Believes it's fine from the factory. Won't add more than a scope to anything.
    Skäl

My ex did not touch guns for a long time, then she wanted to try my snub .357 mag. She liked it enough to qualify for a CHL. My girlfriend on the other hand took to guns like a fish to water. She claimed my Smith 686, bought her a 9mm Taurus 99, then gave her a Sig 250 .40. She likes my .220 Swift Ruger and Marlin 25/20. She does damn fine there. As long as it is shiny and pretty she likes it.
    Last edited by AKTexas; 05-04-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Cool
    Skäl

I hope we're going to see some project pics.... hint hint hint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast