Thread: What type of 7.62x54R Round is this?

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Thumbs down What type of 7.62x54R Round is this?

A Friend gave me some Surplus 7.62x54R Ammo to Shot. I usually use Wolf or Brown Bear Which works in my Chinese Type-53 Carbine flawlessly. However this Stuff was a real Pain as soon as the Carbine got Hot, they started Sticking in the Chamber, and I had to use my Rawhide Mallet to open the Bolt. They have a Dark Green Heavy Laquired Case, which is most likely the Problem, and have a Silver Tipe on the Bullet Stamped 66 at the Top and uxq at the Bottom. anyone know who made it?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Sounds like Czech though I think what you're seeing is bxn not uxq. FWIW the Czech Silvertip has a reputation for good accuracy.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Thanks Richard, It looks like it could go either way, which means it was made in 1999 instead of 1966 I guess. The Ammo did fine, and I had no misfires, only had 20 Rounds of it. The only problem was getting them out of the Chamber. Paul

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I would also say it sounds like Czech ammo. I have not heard of any or seen any later than about 1978 vintage in the US. 1966 is a very likely date for Czech Silver tip especially as after 1970 ish they dropped the silver paint on the bullet. BXN is definitely the Czech headstamp markings most often seen. The lacquer presents an extraction problem if the chamber is either dirty or rough. You aren't the only guy that's had this problem.

I know!

Going against all logic I lightly lube lacquer cases and they extract just fine.
    Try shooting brass case. They don't stick at all in my Type 53.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation

Have not tried this yet, so I can't say how it works

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

You can stop after the chamber polishing if you don't want to mess with the bolt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLL20Oh4P8M
    Last edited by Bluntforce; 11-14-2012 at 04:59 AM.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
    You can stop after the chamber polishing if you don't want to mess with the bolt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXC_P...feature=relmfu
    A similar method I've used is to take brass/bronze bore brush and wrap it with 0000 steel wool, (a 12 gauge bore brush works well) just enough to make a snug fit in the chamber. Chuck the cleaning rod in your drill motor and spin it in the chamber. You can use CLP, 3 in 1 oil, JB Bore paste or other cleaners/abrasives if you'd like. Just pull the brush out and spray it off with break cleaner every few seconds and or add more steel wool until the chamber looks good. You can also wrap it with a patch and see if the chamber is clean.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell