Thread: Where can I get a used Military Conex box from?

Where can I get a used Military Conex box from?

I've seen some very small military conex boxes before, some of the sides are smooth, some are corrugated...

I don't want a 20ft trailer...

I'd like a 12ftx8ft box... just big enough to hopefully trailer in and onto our new rural property (maybe even have it dropped in by helicopter?)...

But these type boxes tend to be relatively water and air tight... I want something that I can leave camping equipment in without worrying about rats getting into it, and its also just large enough for a couple people to sleep in during the winter.

Ideas?

I'm looking for something like this:

This is made to fit into the bed of a pick up truck... I'd like the same kind of size, only completely square so that two cots could be unfolded and two people could sleep comfortably in it.

The one made for the pick up bed, There's only room for one on the floor.... However, I guess some "rails" of sort could be made to rest on the inside benches and you sleep perpendicular to that door opening? Store junk underneath the cots?

*edit* I posted while you were posting your second post, conex box I always thought was just pretty much a shipping container.

http://www.falconcontainers.com/cont...-and-military/

As far as shipping containers go around Louisville several places sell them, I heard you can get shipping containers from any number of distributors directly as well. Being that Atlanta is an import hub I bet around the airport or other industrial park you'd find a place that sells them.
    Last edited by mriddick; 05-14-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Here's another:

Last edited by Mark Ducati; 05-14-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Mark, the military ones are usually beat to hell and are no longer watertight. Your best bet would be to buy a cargo trailer that you can tow behind your truck. They're lighter than the conexes, and they already have wheels, so your truck can tow more with the same size container.

If you're still jonesing for a conex, here's a site that sells 12 footers.
    http://www.falconcontainers.com/Go-Mini-12/

Oops! mriddick got the same site!
    If I weren't supposed to shoot guns, why did God give me trigger fingers?

There's a point in your life when you get tired of trying to fix everything and trying to make everyone happy. When you finally decide to quit, it's NOT giving up. It's realizing you don't need certain people and the bullshit they bring to your life.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee!

Here's a pop-up, but there are others like the one you pictured once in a while..

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

There's a point in your life when you get tired of trying to fix everything and trying to make everyone happy. When you finally decide to quit, it's NOT giving up. It's realizing you don't need certain people and the bullshit they bring to your life.

The ones that go in the back of a pick up truck would probably be "okay" for now with my 7 year old son and me... as for now too, good to store camping chairs/grills/cookware/etc...

But his is the size I would like to have:

As I said, I'd like to keep gear in it primarily... being able to sleep in it for two adults would be nice in winter when its snowing (this has got to be warmer than a tent?).... but hopefully, this type of aluminum shelter/structure would not only keep the rats out, but any hikers that might wander in the adjacent national forest (these things do have padlock handles, I doubt a hiker will have bolt cutters with them).

I see no problem getting the smaller shelter out to my property, the bigger one might be a challenge... but then again too, there are cabins built this far out and all the building supplies were not brought in on pickup trucks... semi's, probably not, but towable trailers... that's more than likely.

Mark, you're going to need at least a 3/4 ton or larger for the first one, and a one ton or larger for the second trailer. Ideally, the trailer shouldn't weight more than your truck. The second trailer shown also uses air over hydraulic brakes, if I remember correctly. That means a brake system like what a semi has. I don't think your Raptor is going to be enough truck for the job.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/endecaSearch?Ntt=van&Ntk=P_Lot_Title&Ntx=mode+matc hall&N=0&Nty=1&Ns=P_Lot_Number|0&words=van&cmd=key word

start looking here. complete with 2.5 ton truck starting at $150

You can narrow the search by state