Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The prepper's or survival gun of choice - based on sales

ak, or sks. only reason id have a ar is to use the ammo "laying around". of course, 12 and 20 ga, 10/22. hk in 556 would be my choice, way more dependable id guess.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    By sales I can't say, every top 10 list I look at is all pistols but as for me if it has Browning, Colt or Stoner tied to the name I would be happy with it as long as it wasn't a varmint gun caliber. I just flat don't get all excited by name brand loyalty but Colt inspired guns have been around a long time for a reason and Browning inspired guns have been around for a long time for a reason and Stoner had a perfectly good concept until it got committee compromised and sissified.

Truth is if I had to head for the woods I would be in deep doo doo but if I could and was going in to fight boogermen I would probably have something by Garand in my arms and Colt on my hip. Not better but two guns I am intimately familiar with.

If it was a survival live off the land scenario and not a battle scenario I would be carrying the oldest cheapest most practical gun in my collection. A single shot bolt action Savage 22 cal rifle with iron sights and a 100 rounds in a plastic zip lock baggie in my pants pocket.

Try to break into my house and you won't know what you will be met with, depends on what was handiest so it could be 32 Win Spcl. 12 gauge semi., 20 gauge pump, 45 pistol or Ruger 44 mag or any of a half dozen other guns and calibers, boogerman wouldn't like any of them so all this caliber silliness is just that...silliness. Does it make a damn bit of difference to you if you get shot by an AK or a Mosin or an Armalite or maybe something shooting a Federal .338 round in your direction? I'm guessing they would all ruin your day. Best gun, the one that makes you happiest. As for me, I'm happy with all of them.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

This is a neat article:

1: Colt 1911
    2: S&W #10 Model Revolver
    3: Bushmaster AR15
    4: Remmington 870
    5: Thompson Center Arms Muzzle Loading Rifle

Top 5 Most popular guns and why:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/5-m...pular-guns.htm

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    The modern M16 is nothing like the ones used in Vietnam.
    No, they are not "the same" but they are close. Most have a chromed chaimber and are not using powder (meant for the M14) not reccomended by the manufactuer, but other than that, they are functionally equivalent.

Read:

http://www.military.com/NewContent/0...Offley,00.html
    "practically all of the soldiers' M-16 rifles had already jammed due to insufficient maintenance and cleaning...."But Miller's rifle was jammed. A spent round would eject, but the new round would only go halfway into the chamber. Miller slammed his palm into a lever on the side of the gun, and the bullet slid into place. He raised his rifle and fired. The Iraqi collapsed in a heap before he could fire the mortar round. …

"One by one, Miller, by his count, shot seven Iraqis as each popped up and tried to work the mortar. After it was over, a large bruise spread over Miller's palm from the constant slapping against the rifle."

The real unsung hero of the "Private Lynch" hulabaloo was forced to use his weapon as a single shot, fortunately they train the US Army better than a bunch of wild Jihadi's ( actually "Fayadeen" volunteers), because if they knew how to actually work mortors, RPG's or an AKM, all of those fine soldiers would now be gone.

M-16/a2 /M-4 etc. all need to be maintained to a higher level, but in any case, you have to be able to actually hit your target.

NOW as for the OP, the most popular gun choice for "survivalists" ( drumroll) is the 12GA shotty ! For rifles the AR is still more popular in the US of A, but AK is a close second in Popularity.
    Last edited by Izzy; 07-10-2011 at 02:53 PM.
    Plus 200 posts or so as IZZY from MN.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345