Thread: Honey For Shtf

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Honey For Shtf

Honey really is a good prep item to have!

1. Skin Moisturizer - Honey, when mixed with eggs and some flour, is an effective skin moisturizer. Best of all, it is gently formulated, so it can be used by people with sensitive skin. Mix four tablespoons of honey with a couple of egg whites and a few tablespoons of flour, depending on your desired consistency. Stir the mixture until it thickens. When the mixture is ready, you can use it as a hand and body lotion or a moisturizing face mask, eliminating the effects of dry skin.

2. Antiseptic - Hydrogen peroxide is a chemical used for cleaning wounds and helping them heal quickly. skin moisturizer Honey happens to contain a good amount of the chemical. It only needs to be released by diluting the substance in water or body fluids. When applied on an open wound, the glucose, contained by honey, is diluted and gradually releases hydrogen peroxide. The substance facilitates your wound’s faster healing. Due to its viscous consistency, it also prevents wounds from sticking to the dressing and the appearance of scars.

3. Acne Remover - Honey might be a gentle skin moisturizer but it is certainly tough on acne. With constant exposure to the bee fluid, pimples eventually wither and fade. Apply a small amount of honey on the pimply regions of your face. Cover them with adhesive bandages. Soon, your zit attack will be nothing more than a distant memory.

4. Energy Booster - Why buy palpitation-inducing energy drinks when you already have honey? Mix honey with some water then drink the solution. Honey’s glucose content will be absorbed by the brain and in the bloodstream, reducing fatigue in the process. You’ll be healthy and quite happy just by consuming the simple solution.

5. Immune System Booster - Health buffs are known to drink a teaspoon of honey daily, along with their morning vitamins. Though still not scientifically proven, the daily consumption of honey is said to strengthen your immune system. You can give it a shot, you’ve got nothing to lose anyway.

6. Enhances Vitamin A - Vitamin A is the nutrient that fosters better eyesight, especially when consumed in significant quantities. If you mix items that are rich in Vitamin A with honey, the effects are slightly increased.

7. Improves Blood Flow - Honey, being rich in glucose, is known to improve the blood flow through the fortification of blood’s formation. Glucose provides energy in the bloodstream, which is distributed throughout the body. As a result, the blood produced has the proper consistency, flowing smoothly through the blood vessels. Glucose is believed to prevent capillary damage due to its ability to improve your blood flow.

8. Treatment for Sore Throat - Some people believe that honey is an even better treatment for coughs and colds than over-the-counter medicine. To create the sore throat-relieving serum, squeeze the juice from a lemon and mix it with some honey. Stir the mixture until both ingredients blend. Drink the solution. After a few moments, you will realize that your sore throat has been cured, or at least reduced. Just continue to make more rounds until you are finally free from colds.

9. Colon Damage Prevention - Colitis, a disease that damages the colon, induces much discomfort for the afflicted. You can minimize the effects of the disease if you drink some honey daily. The antioxidants found in honey is said to strengthen and improve the resistance of the colon. In addition, it is used in folk medicine as a means for curing colon-related conditions.

10. Parasite Remover - Honey, when mixed with vinegar and water, can remove worms and other parasites in your body. The combination of vinegar’s acidity and honey’s therapeutic components is more than enough to kill or expel bodily intruders. When you suspect that you have worms in your body, drink ample amounts of the solution regularly. The parasites might build a resistance if you don’t manage to get rid of them all as soon as possible.

11. Remedy for Burns - A burn is not only painful, the marks also last for a good number of days before healing up. By applying honey on your burn, the hydrogen peroxide released cleans the wound and soothes the inflammation. As a result, the burn marks will heal in a few days with less pain. Use honey as a dressing for maximum results.

12. Antibacterial Solution - Bacteria and germs won’t survive when covered in honey, given its acidic pH balance and viscous base. The microorganisms will be trapped in the sticky acidic base, which is too abrasive for their exteriors, killing them off eventually. Apply honey on a wound, scratches or an inflamed region, in conjunction with an antiseptic. You’ll be astounded at how fast your injury heals after.

13. Relaxant for Anxiety and Nervousness - Anxiety and nervousness are the enemies of a healthy mind. Once both conditions swarm your thoughts, your actions are tantamount to produce negative results. Free yourself from any of the two states of mind by eating porridge mixed with honey. Honey’s nutrients produce a calming effect, especially when taken in significant amounts. No wonder some consider it a part of the breakfast of champions. Honey can also be mixed with a suitable beverage for a good night’s sleep.

14. Cancer and Heart Disease Prevention - Heart disease and cancer are diseases that have claimed the lives of millions of people. Both conditions have a multitude of causes, some of which are hard to identify. You must have some sort of protection from these diseases and that protection comes in the form of honey. Honey’s antioxidants prevent the formation of cancer cells and preserve the quality of the produced blood, preventing heart disease in the process. Though, engaging in acts that promote cancer, such as smoking and excessive drinking, will still trigger the diseases, so be watchful.

15. Diabetic Ulcer Remedy - Curing ulcer entirely is largely done by modern medical techniques. Though, you can speed up the healing process if you use honey as a topical solution. It’s ability to heal wounds will certainly come in handy when other ointments are not advised to use.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Thumbs up

The preceding was brought to you by the National Honey Producers Federation...

Will it clean all the green crud out of my pool if I dump it in there?

Actually that was pretty interesting!
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Thats a great read, and so many uses. I didnt know honey could be used for all that.

Question

Is all that for real ?
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    Is all that for real ?
    Yes, the shit's magic. Like Coffee and Aspirin, they keep discovering new beneficial effects almost on a weekly basis.

No shit.

Local honey is sometimes touted as being a remedy for airborne allergens.

Winnie the Pooh got stuck in his bunker after eating a jar of honey,
    so take caution, it does add bulk.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

With honey’s glucose content, wouldn't that be more harmful than beneficial to persons with diabetes?
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    With honey’s glucose content, wouldn't that be more harmful than beneficial to persons with diabetes?
    Sucks to be them. But seriously, they would need to refrain from eating it unless .... they were over medicated on insulin. Then it could provide the sugar burst they need form going into coma. Honey is an anti-bacterial agent. When Alexander the Great died his men put him in a coffen filled with honey to prevent his body from decaying. They had intended to take him back to their home land in Macedonia but several of his Generals got in a fight over the body. His remains made it as far as Alexandria in North Africa and were entomed there.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Maybe the best thing about honey is 1 it does not go bad and 2 it is easily digestible. I love honey and still get it but not in the amounts I would like because of my diabetes. Used topically for wounds as mentioned above would have little or no effect unless ingested. It does make a nice anti-biotic and it does help wounds heal faster.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

just make sure it's raw honey.

Quote Originally Posted by kekaha View Post
    How can you tell, and what is the difference?
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Senior Member sniper_n_training's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kekaha View Post
    I'm also interested to hear how one can tell the two apart and what differences they have? The local honey guy around here gets his honey from a very secluded spot out in the desert and bottles it locally as well. Every medium sized jar also includes a huge portion of honeycomb that is just as delicious as the honey (almost like a honey flavored gummy bear).

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Does this honey help in the SHTF?

or these honeys?

NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

sorry for the late reply...

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    How can you tell, and what is the difference?
    the honey that you find in stores more than likely have been pasteurized and filtered, killing the nutrients and enzymes needed for its health/medical attributes. the biggest clue that it is processed honey is that it WILL NOT CRYSTALLIZE, but instead stay in its CLEAR, liquid form.

raw honey is also heated, though not as high as pasteurization and minimally filtered. it still has the vital nutrients and enzymes needed for its health/medical benefits. raw honey will crystallize, usually staying more solid at room temps. it is "off-colored" than the gold you associate honey with, depending on the season and pollen available, and MURKY. you might see some particles of pollen and honeycomb.

I'm also interested to hear how one can tell the two apart and what differences they have? The local honey guy around here gets his honey from a very secluded spot out in the desert and bottles it locally as well. Every medium sized jar also includes a huge portion of honeycomb that is just as delicious as the honey (almost like a honey flavored gummy bear).
    and then there is cold packed honey. this is the type of honey that you get directly from the beehive to the jar; no heat or filtering. the wax is scraped off of the honeycomb and the honey is packed into the jar with maybe bits of honeycomb and wax in it. it also still have raw bee pollen in it.

so, if you are looking to buy honey for its SHTF uses or for just the health benefit of it, try to get cold packed raw honey from your local beekeeper.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Best part is if it does crystallize it hurts nothing. double boiler with water in the outer boiler, low heat and wait, it turns back into liquid honey. That would be a good time to pick out the dead bee's and bits of comb. I used to like to chew on the comb like long lasting candy. Today I melt it and use it for flux. Best honey I ever got was from a wild nest I found when I was squirrel hunting. Came back just after sunset with a saw and a bucket. I cut that old downed tree in half, got the comb out and put the halves back together. The next summer there was a fresh comb in it. Then I went active duty and never got back there. heavy sigh.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

+1 on the burn therapy. If you dont mind a few flies hanging around the wound, even pasturized honey will help in this case. For a bandage try Plastic Wrap ( Serran Wrap) over the honey to keep it clean and in place.

G-ds gift of honey kep me from having a skin graft from a bad burn.

-1 on the parasite cleanse, Blastocystus, D. Fragilus, and Cryptosporidium ( ALL VERY COMMON THE US OF A!!!) feed off SUGERS including Honey.
    Plus 200 posts or so as IZZY from MN.

Yes AK TX with enough Honey as barter it is possible to Rent a "Sex Worker" if that's what you like to do.

I preffer my Honey clean and Pure.
    Plus 200 posts or so as IZZY from MN.