Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The prepper's or survival gun of choice - based on sales

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

The prepper's or survival gun of choice - based on sales

I would be willing to bet that the often asked question "what's the best survival gun to buy?" has been answered in terms of what has been selected by and far as the favorite based on sales.

The AKM

Maybe followed by the SKS

I would expect everything else to fall behind these for prepper purchases.

Maybe the AR-15 next... then leverguns.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I have no clue. Certainly the AK takes the least experience and apptitude to operate. Cleaning seldom required and it functions. OTOH, not overly accurate compared to most AR rifles. Some exceptions exist, I own one.

romak10/63UF
    The AKM.... the bayonet come with a wire cutter... come on now your running threw the woods an your traped behind enemy lines an you need to get the hell out of there but then you come to a eletrical fence what do you do ? pull out your ak-47 wire cutter bayonet an cut threw the wire ! Can a Ar-15 bayonet do that ?

I would have guessed the AR-15. Based on the people I know, they all have at least one AR-15. It is usally the gun that would be thier first choice to if the SHTF. The only person I know who seriously perpares for this kind of stuff who doesn't have one is me. Meybe the AR is just popular around here, I don't know.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by romak10/63UF View Post
    The AKM.... the bayonet come with a wire cutter... come on now your running threw the woods an your traped behind enemy lines an you need to get the hell out of there but then you come to a eletrical fence what do you do ? pull out your ak-47 wire cutter bayonet an cut threw the wire ! Can a Ar-15 bayonet do that ?
    Think M9 bayonet for the answer.

I was just going on my personal reading of what is most always recommended for noobs, the fact that they seem to sell out quickly at the wholesalers and what I see at the range.

The range shows an edge going to the AKM's - at least where I am. Yeah, plenty of AR's too but I'm thinking that those buying as a tool aren't necessarily going to go to the range on an regular basis...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I'm going to vote with the 91/30 MN with bayonet as my go to. Just to snub at ak and other semi-autos.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Preppers have to lean toward the AK. Its simple, they always cost less which even today usually means you can get two AK for the price of one AR. 5 of my first 10 rifle purchases were AKM specifically for this reason. For me, I preferred the AR but only had one, when I was binge buying hardware the SAR, siaga and even vepr's were more affordable. Same goes for surplus pistols, they are reliable and cheap. My 2nd 3rd and 4th semi-auto pistols were the CZ52 because they were $75 each and 70rnd boxes of surplus chinese 7.62x25 ammo was $3/box. Don't binge buy anymore because of the kids but pick up an occasional AR/5.56 and/or high tolerance pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Infidelski View Post
    Preppers have to lean toward the AK. Its simple, they always cost less which even today usually means you can get two AK for the price of one AR. 5 of my first 10 rifle purchases were AKM specifically for this reason. For me, I preferred the AR but only had one, when I was binge buying hardware the SAR, siaga and even vepr's were more affordable. Same goes for surplus pistols, they are reliable and cheap. My 2nd 3rd and 4th semi-auto pistols were the CZ52 because they were $75 each and 70rnd boxes of surplus chinese 7.62x25 ammo was $3/box. Don't binge buy anymore because of the kids but pick up an occasional AR/5.56 and/or high tolerance pistol.
    How long ago was that? Check the prices these days and most AK variants are up there in the $600 plus range. I can build an AR for that much.

I dont own any type of ar.
    I really do not like the weapon itself or the round.
    Maybe one thing that the akm had when I first got into guns was price.
    That cant be said now adays as price of a good AK is up.
    Same for ammo and mags.
    Thinking waffles and bakelite.
    I think it might be for quality.
    Now this is just what I think,dont really care why anyone like the ar oand dont want to turn this thread into yet another vs' thread.

AR for the range....longer range targets and even home defense.

SHTF go innawoodz? AKM hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    How long ago was that? Check the prices these days and most AK variants are up there in the $600 plus range. I can build an AR for that much.
    You are correct Sir, good point however whislt you may be able to build a AR for $600 most kneejerk buyers (preppers) can not build/assemble an AR even at low end centuryarms monkeyquality standards.

Point being that popularity based on sales is going to lean towards the AKM for as long as people walk into stores and see that they are almost always less than the AR's on the rack next to them and ammo is cheap.

Preppers purchase romy aks, saigas and sks's - again just my observation and the are all $400 ish.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    IDK, in my area AR's seem far more popular.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by romak10/63UF View Post
    All I need is my 22, shoot the wife and throw her over the fence, continue on my way.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Not getting along with the wife grump?

I may be alone in this respect but a FAL will kill most if not all the targets one will encounter..sure it's heavier and less ammo can be carried but when you absolutely, positively gotta kill every last thing in your way .308 isn't too bad. 'sides the AK market sucks ass where I am. I might know where a Kassnar AK folder is but doubt I can come up with the scratch before the poo flies... Got a full Tin of Steel core Chinese stuff though..

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    All I need is my 22, shoot the wife and throw her over the fence, continue on my way.
    Who's going to carry all your stuff if you off her right off?

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by bovver View Post
    Who's going to carry all your stuff if you off her right off?
    She was the baggage. Why do you think I'm Grumpy.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    She was the baggage. Why do you think I'm Grumpy.
    HAHAHA.
    Yes sir,carry on.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast