Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's done - we are now pine tree farmers

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Talking It's done - we are now pine tree farmers

We got the closing done in Mississippi and even got the place registered as a farm and some other things settled - like getting the timber cutting arranged - we decided to wait until this fall/winter when the prices historically cycle up - should get us another 50% of value out of the timber. We are going to have the pines "thinned", perimeter road cut, homesite cleared and pond/gully cleared to prepare for the creation of a pond.

Wife has come around to doing something more modest for a home

This is all still sinking in, but she thought about what I've been harping on and came to the same conclusion as me: being debt free and saving money will allow us to retire in 10 years - as an option. And part of this is not building a "trophy" house.

So, we are actually looking at getting a large storage building and using that as the "core" of a house - finishing it off and doing "shed roof extensions" on the sides - to make more bedrooms, etc. Then we would get another storage building to use for a shop and... storage.

These are the Menonite buildings which are quite well built. I'd still put a basement under one section for storm shelter and safe storage of firearms, etc...

Very pumped about all of this - lots to do!

Here's a few pics from our trip - I got the corners marked and posted...

That's my buddy ridding ahead of me and the wife - he brought his 4 wheelers over for us to ride to get around - good thing as it was hot hot hot. Gotta get me one I guess -in due time. Need a tractor too... but we'll save the cash and then buy...

That's all I have for now - gotta go pack (have a bus trip tomorrow...) and then hit the sack - we are pooped.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

you should have a shoot and have people build your houe over a weekend ....keep it simple and we can do it!

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    OSOK, good job getting the land and getting the wife on the debt freedom bandwagon. You'll both be happier in the long run. Make a good life working the land and loving your family. That is what matters in life. Excellent!
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

That looks like a dream. Enjoy it. Like I really need to tell you that.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    That looks like a dream. Enjoy it. Like I really need to tell you that.
    I couldn't have said it better.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

OUTSTANDING!!

i've been following all this but being quiet so as not to jinx ya.

sounds like you have the plan and now that the wife is on board things will snowball forward for you. i can't wait to see your progress!
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Good on you.

Take small steps at first and think long and hard about what you want. If you jump in, spend a lot of money, make big changes at the get go and change your mind later you are committed. Land isn't going any place and neither are you. Things might look a little different in a year and you will have more concrete ideas on what will and won't work for you.

Right now take lots of long slow walks and get to know every rock and valley and otter hole and owl tree, let it soak into your skin. I love driving around my property but I learned it on foot.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

looks great! you can always put a camper-trailer out there too, what im gonna do. that land looks way better than the other one with crummy neighbors. how many acres?

congrats looks like a nice peice of land

Thanks guys. Can't wait to the day I can move there full time... but one step at a time.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Thumbs up

Looks very nice. Mississippi huh, I wonder how far the drive would be for me to come visit!

Yep - smack dab in the middle of MS

Grump - we put the cutting off until this fall - but we're pretty sure what we want done with that... we've already reconsidered the building... we are now looking at moving our current garden shed up there - and then I could build the house more slowly. The wife's been looking at what the house space would be like and we figure that I can build the house in stages with a better design.

And it's 59 acres.

Schutz - didn't mean to ignore your insinuation Once I get somewhat set-up there, I would love to have some gunsnet guys over for a weekend campout and shoot.

I want to get a shooting range set-up with a shoot house that will allow covered shooting and also dampen the shooting noise some -though, while I was there last, there was shooting coming from two different directions I was really thinking of keeping the noise down so as not to chase the deer off. My last property in Texas had deer coming through it but never during the day... I had a nice range on it and I think the shooting may have scared them off...

But that was mostly open pasture with about 5 acres of trees... so this will be much much better.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    My deer blind is also my shooting stand and I see deer often when I go back there to work or shoot. You will be surprised at how quickly they adapt to strange noises as anybody ever doing long range shooting on a regular range can attest to. You clear a lane for shooting and keep it semi mowed and you have just created edge cover that will attract deer to come and graze on. It's people walking around the woods that make them move or sit under cover, not the shooting. One less thing to worry about.

To sweeten the pot for them find out what grows best down there and plant a cover crop specifically for deer in your shooting lanes and at the edges of where you cut and you will be very popular with Odocoileus virginianus. I drop a mineral block and a couple of salt blocks in areas where I don't hunt for their benefit and it's always gone in a year. I do it that way because I don't want to bait deer so the blocks are in out of the way secluded places where they can feel secure when they do their lick.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Looks good, and good luck in the future, OSOK. I hope it all works out for you.

Thanks

And grump = good idea on the blocks - I'll probably get several mineral blocks and put them about the place....

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Did you see any hog wallers?
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Nope - hog free at this point, but like in most places in the south, they are on the way...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Nope - hog free at this point, but like in most places in the south, they are on the way...
    My uncle's cousin has a place in East Texas that has hogs. We both dropped the hint that we would like to come out and help kill a few. Still waiting on that invite.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

I have an invite right near home on a gent's ranch that has allowed our boyscout troop to camp - and invited us back anytime because of how we leave things - and probably because we do things like clean his bathroom up for him... I want to do a little project first though - he wants a pier on his pond... but he told us to come shoot "some of those danged hogs" for him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast