Thread: Working on my PAP

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Working on my PAP..Updated W/New Pics See Post #15

I bought this PAP a month or so ago. I was very impressed with the way it was made, it feels like a very solid rifle. The looks however, left a lot to be desired.

Never one to let the cost of modifications exceeding the value of something stop me. I decided to change the looks a bit.

I have been collecting US military firearms for years and I love the look of walnut on a firearm, so I bought a set of stocks from Ironwood in black walnut. I also replaced the fire control group with a Tapco double hook trigger set to keep it 922r compliant.

Finally, I had a friend of mine machine out the mag well to accept double stack mags.

I bought it from a guy at work w/750 rounds of ammo for $500 and have another $300+ into it, but I don't really care. I could have maybe built one on a kit for a bit less, but this a matching number gun that was built at the factory that made them for the Yugoslavian military.

Before:

After:

With an East German cleaning kit:

I still have to refine the small filler piece that I made to fit in the angled area behind the lower part of the back of the receiver. I was a bit too enthusiastic with a file while trying to fit it and then ran out of gas for my TIG welder so haven't been able to weld it up and take another stab at shaping it for a better fit.

Other than that I am extremely happy with it

Edited to post new pics...I worked on that $#@&^ filler piece today. I 'm pretty sure I have more time in it than all the rest of the project combined.

PS, I decided to see if I liked the tacticool look, so I installed a ghost ring type sight. Very inexpensive from Big Five ($49.95) and so far I like the way it shows up on target. I'll take it out later this week and sight it in and see if it holds zero.
    Last edited by Highpower; 10-19-2012 at 09:21 PM.