The AN-94 employs modern manufacturing technologies including castings, steel stampings, laser welding, powder coatings and polymer construction. In other words the "Abakan" requires the most advanced production manufacturing technologies.
Advantages
The "Abakan" is very accurate at the 2 round burst mode. Furthermore the penetration power is increased by the second shot which hits almost the same place a the first. Ability to use underbarel grenade launcher and the bayonet-knife at the same time. Low recoil power.
Disadvantages
Unlike the AK-74 the AN-94 "Abakan" isn't simple at all in assembling, disassembling, and maintenance. Furthermore has lower reliability in unpleasant conditions and need accurate care. It is expensive and takes a long time to train soldiers to use the "Abakan", and is expensive compared to the AK-74. Bad ergonomics, it is uncomfortable to use. It can't be fired when the buttstock is folded

http://www.enemyforces.net/firearms/abakan.htm
Been reading about the Abakan and keep wondering why. Also wondered where to put this thread so if I'm in the wrong house move it. Any fans of this gun out here in Gunsnet land or is it just a more complicated perversion of our own beloved and/or hated M16 family. I keep wondering why this design when it seems so awkward and complicated compared to what they had.

As much as I don't care for the M16 even I have to admit it is easy to shoot, easy to field strip and put back together. Enough goose snot on the bolt and it would keep on shooting no matter how much dirt I drug it through. Is the Abakan really an improvement that I can't see other than the Russians can carry more ammo?

Color me confused.