so, since the last post about an accuracy load for my bolt gun threw some doubt into the projectile selection, ive decided that since i have about 4k ss109's that i would try some of them out and see how a handloaded m855 would perform.

i checked it out in the usgi specs and they specify the load to be 26.1gn of wc844. i plan on substituting the wc844 with some h335, which is damn near identical, if not just a tad bit colder than the wc844.

checking out my load books, 26.1gn seems to be way too hot. my sierra manual has separate sections for bolt gun ammo and ar ammo, the bolt gun section has this in the safe load range, but the ar section, my speer manual and my hornaday manual both put it as at least 1gn over max.

i am using cci 400 primers, so the cup is not as hard as a mil-spec primer which will only compound my problem, but im more worried about chamber pressures first over a possible pierced primer at this point.

and again, disclaimer, i accept all responsibility for anything i load and no one should follow any advice contained in this thread ever, blah blah, blah...

thoughts? experiences?